Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Need help guessing age please :)

I got this little girl at petsmart when I went to go buy a filter and I brought her with me. I had seen her there for a few days and she was just as active as ever. She has some issues with her gills from ammonia obviously so I have already began treatment with AQ salt and some stress coat. I have her temp at 82F. Here are my questions:

1. Should temp be increased because of her young age?
2. What food should she eat? I have brine shrimp and blood worms from hikari and NLS pellets
3. How old is she?
4. Any special things I should do to help her and make her feel comfortable?

I can't wait till she grows and gets her larger tank. I have 3 other boys and I'm glad I have a little girl!! (they sound like kids huh? lol)

Thank you for your help!

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 
sareena79

cute little black lips! whatcha gonna name her?
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #3 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
cute little black lips! whatcha gonna name her?
I named her Lucy! It just popped in my head! You think I can feed her pellets?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
sareena79

I heard there are different sizes so maybe if u start her off on the smallest ones (wish I knew what those were) she should be ok I think. I like her name, its cute!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

she looks about 3 months old at most, about the same age as the girls in our sorority. she's gorgeous, by the way.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
she looks about 3 months old at most, about the same age as the girls in our sorority. she's gorgeous, by the way.
Thank you. She is not doing so well right now..Clamped up floating at the top.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

is she eating properly. if she's as tiny as she looks, you might want to crush her pellets up to make them easier for her to eat. also, is she looking bloated or swimming sideways? how much are you feeding her? she might be constipated (although that would be more likely to cause her to sink) or she could be gassy (sometimes they swallow air when they get their food from the surface) or if none of those is the problem, she might have a swim bladder issue, let's hope it's not that. if it is, though, you should switch from AQ salt to epsom salt, it's a good first aid for internal problems, whereas AQ is best suited for treating externals such as fin rot and scale loss.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
is she eating properly. if she's as tiny as she looks, you might want to crush her pellets up to make them easier for her to eat. also, is she looking bloated or swimming sideways? how much are you feeding her? she might be constipated (although that would be more likely to cause her to sink) or she could be gassy (sometimes they swallow air when they get their food from the surface) or if none of those is the problem, she might have a swim bladder issue, let's hope it's not that. if it is, though, you should switch from AQ salt to epsom salt, it's a good first aid for internal problems, whereas AQ is best suited for treating externals such as fin rot and scale loss.
she doesn't look bloated and she isn't swimming sideways. I fed her a bit of brine shrimp(hikari) and crushed the pellets into small pieces/dust and she ate them..She has an appetite. She will swim around if i go up to her tank. How would i know if its swim bladder? I hope she is ok. I'm really worried now. Her temp is 82F Should it be increased? I would think that she is just in the corner at the top bc the water is cold but i'm heating the tank. GRRR. So Frustrating!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #9 
Maddybelle

She may just be getting used to the new home? Hikari Betta BioGold made their pellets smaller, so I think those would be good for little Lucy. Also, you could try soaking the pellets: they get soft and the little ones can break them apart easier if they need to.
Hehe, she looks like a Goth betta!
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote