Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
crowntaillove

My breeding plan

I intend on starting my own line of fancy halfsun bettas. I actually have several goals in this spawn. First, I would like to gain more experience in spawning and raising fry. Secondly, I would like to first hand witness the effects of genetics. I'm going to go ahead and ask if anyone will be interested in the fry (keep in mind that I'm a first time breeder, so don't expect fantastic looking bettas.) I intend on working with this line until I create something very similar to my idea of perfect. I would like to hear any advice you guys may have. (Not just, make sure you read this and do that...etc etc) I would much rather hear advice on if I'm starting in the right place to get where I'm trying to go. I have two petstore crowntails, one male and one female, that I would like to work with and I will be getting a fancy halfmoon from a breeder. I will include pictures of them both, and I'd like to know if it will be okay to go ahead and work with one or the other, or if it absolutely necessary to get new crowntails to work with.

Based on these pictures, would you recommend I work with the male or the female, or completely forget about these two?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I don't understand why it would matter.
You're goals don't fit IBC standards so why worry about the current fish?
I'm not trying to be rude but I can give you pointers on the fish you have if you were breeding crowntails, but it would not apply for what you have in mind.
As for color, these two would be a bad match because the spotty dragon scales on your female will show up on the fry.
Good luck! Woud like to see your fancy male!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #3 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I don't understand why it would matter.
You're goals don't fit IBC standards so why worry about the current fish?
I'm not trying to be rude but I can give you pointers on the fish you have if you were breeding crowntails, but it would not apply for what you have in mind.
As for color, these two would be a bad match because the spotty dragon scales on your female will show up on the fry.
Good luck! Woud like to see your fancy male!
Well, I'm completely unintersted in creating show bettas that meet IBC standards.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Point made.
If your idea of "perfect" is your idea, then you're the only one who can determine what fish will fit your program.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Point made.
If your idea of "perfect" is your idea, then you're the only one who can determine what fish will fit your program.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Haha. I want to create a good line, that is my idea of perfect, but at the same time I do need help trying to get where I'm trying to go. Does that make sense?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 
Savageajc

I love that male!
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #7 
Myates

I personally wouldn't breed either of these, but for practice purposes then they would be fine. The male has potential in having pretty babies (not talking about fins), the female not so much (mainly because I prefer full body coloring and smoother scaling). But that is my opinion.

I would first breed to get experience, to learn techniques that will work for you, and so you get an idea of the hours you need to spend a day to keep the fry alive, etc. These two would work for that.. and once you have raised a couple of spawns then you can look into spending the money and buy the appropriate breeding pair that will fulfill your wants.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. Make sure you have future homes for fry.
Color wise, this pair will give you better understanding how red and irid effect each other. I would other wise advise that you look for a more solid colored female - it's a shame to ruin an almost solid male. But two solid colors won't teach you much. LOL

Also notice that the female has poor fin form. Later see if the female has more effect on fin form than male. Maybe on future spawn you can try better formed female and compare the results. IMO every thing or every pair is a learning experience. Just make sure you keep notes.

Now, a bit of advise - I know you're not trying to produce show quality bettas. But in the long run show quality will be easier to sell thus making this hobby self supporting. As people often say; feeding pet store bettas is the same as feeding show bettas. . . . . . just something to consider.

IME, when trying to produce something specific, you can't just work with one pair at a time. Often you need to work with 4 or more pairs at once. Also remember that every few generations you'll need to buy new genes to cross to your line. . . . just be prepared.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
Savageajc

Indjo lots of great info just from reading your response! Notes taken. What is wrong with the fins on the male?
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He has some crooked rays. I don't know if this is genetic or due to water (CT needs more specific water prams). His head is a bit dippy and he lacks caudal spread. His fins could be stronger (straight, not curved/slope). But he has balanced web reduction and fin length. His color is almost solid - only slight red on anal and ventrals still red. He has a pretty good dorsal (weak rays ruin it) - dorsal is leaning to the front. IMO he is a good specimen to start with and if paired to the right female, may produce gorgeous fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote