Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1 
carolineelisabeth

My fish are mating. . . HELP?

Claudia had strong stress stripes, then, after heavy conditioning, she became plump with eggs and had distinct breeding stripes. So, I put the two together after getting all of the things I needed for my fry. Now, they are no longer aggressive towards each other, in fact they're chasing each other playfully. He is flaring but not attacking. However, he is not making a bubble nest at all. Is it just a longer process than I thought or is he not interested?
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 
carolineelisabeth

Okay now the stress stripes are gone and the breeding stripes are back even brighter now!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

was this a planned event, or were they just in the same tank together and it started? male and female bettas CANNOT be kept together, even if they're both docile. one thing all bettas have in common is that they're unpredictable, and it's a fair guarantee that one day, one will rub the other the wrong way just enough to incite a bloodbath.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 
carolineelisabeth

Not kept together, it was planned. I conditioned them as I was told and have everything to take care of my fry. I also have a local store willing to buy them.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 
carolineelisabeth

I seperated them. No worries now :)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6 
Creat

The behavior you were watching is normal. If you keep her in floating he should make a nest however some males dont make a nest till they have eggs, it just depends...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 
carolineelisabeth

Thank you! I will let them get back together once he makes himself a nest.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #8 
Setsuna

I have a pair that was similar to wat you are saying. So like you I conditioned the pair after that I put him and her in the breeding tank but I put her Ina jar for her protection till his nest is ready but he never showed intrest In building a nest so I though maybe he needs to swim with her and chase her a bit. So I let her out. After i let her out he started building a nest but at the same time it was a Wrong idea! She was being chase and beaten up she even ran to the nest and even try to embrace him but he just beats the heck out of her so I took her back out and into the jar again. The next day I find her releasing all her eggs into the jar and I was mad as fawk that all of that has to go to waste. So now I'm trying her again but with a diff male and see wat happens. Sometimes it's just the fish

Last edited by Setsuna; 10-18-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Some males never bother making nests, some make huge ones, some need to be with a female, some need to rear eggs ...... they're all different. Don't determine readiness by nest building. Instead, try to understand their behavior when in a breeding mode and when not. This goes for both male and female - light colored females don't show breeding bars so you can't rely on them to show the female's readiness.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Just know if you sell your betta's to a local pet store most won't live very long. People buy betta's from stores as decorations, rarely feed them, and like my aunt stop feeding them because they get tired of caring for them. Also the petstores don't change water that often. If I were you I wouldn't send my babies to their death like that.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote