Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

sick betta please help.

my bf brought home a betta and he is definitely not well. I sent him to get some stress coat and he comes home with a fish. I have no clue how to treat sick fish. He is suffering from fin rot for sure and he is swollen and floats at the top on his side...Swim bladder?

I have a qt tank 1 gal with a heater some aq salt stress coat...is that all i need? How do i do this? I don't blame him for bringing him home

I already posted on the emergency thread but no replies..maybe someone here can help since this thread gets more views...
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 
JerryBerrie

Aww poor fishy :(. My fish had fin rot when i got him, i've been treating him with Melafix, even though people have said its bad for his labrynth organ, nothing bad has happened to him, he acts great, and it does heal him, and i use AQ salt at least twice or three times a week, not really big doses. As for your fish looking bloated, I wouldnt feed him anything until tomorrow to see how he looks. I dont know what else to say, just that I hope your fish gets better!
JerryBerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #3 
sandrac8388

he has now started swimming around his warm clean water. Still turning on his side a bit but not as bad. This aq salt and stress coat is like magic... Any other suggestions?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBerrie View Post
Aww poor fishy :(. My fish had fin rot when i got him, i've been treating him with Melafix, even though people have said its bad for his labrynth organ, nothing bad has happened to him, he acts great, and it does heal him, and i use AQ salt at least twice or three times a week, not really big doses. As for your fish looking bloated, I wouldnt feed him anything until tomorrow to see how he looks. I dont know what else to say, just that I hope your fish gets better!

thank you! I hope he gets better soon. he is such a pretty fish!!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
JerryBerrie

Your welcome! Keep updats about him on this thread, I look forward to seeing more about him :) I dont know what else would be helpful as of now, just keep it up and i hope he heals and gets better.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBerrie View Post
Your welcome! Keep updats about him on this thread, I look forward to seeing more about him :) I dont know what else would be helpful as of now, just keep it up and i hope he heals and gets better.

I am happy to report after passing a big poop he is no longer floating on his side!! he is swimming around his nice warm clean water! AMAZING what warm water does. he just needed help passing the poop. he was super constipated!! How long should i keep him in his hospital tank and how often do i change the water for his fin rot?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #7 
DragonFish

The thing with Melaflix or any of those -Fix's is that it has tea tree oil, which is rumored to coat the labyrinth organ and drown the betta.....its not something thats going to instantly kill your fish over night, but its harmful and will cause damage over time. I would highly suggest against using anything that ends in 'fix' with any sort of Anabantoidei.
And to be honest, I really doesn't do anything that clean, warm water, a little AQ salt, and possibly some stress coat wouldn't do.....so why take the risk?

It sounds like your guy was just a little constipated, which is great to hear. :) It really is quite amazing what even just warm, clean water can do.....sometimes thats really all a fish needs.
I actually can't really see any finrot from the pictures you provided, so I assume that its a very mild case....which you should be able to just treat with warm, extra clean water. I'd say for now, change the water out every day, alternating between 50% and 100%, and keep a close eye on him. If the finrot seems to be healing, hes active, eating normally, and has no reoccurring constipation/swim bladder after a week or two I'd say its safe to move him out of QT.

Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 
JerryBerrie

Aww I'm happy he's feeling better and that it was just constipation! And Dragonfish, i've had my fish for a long time, but no decrease in activity, he swims to the top of his tank normally, the same since when i got him.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Well, I'm very glad to hear your fish still appears healthy and happy, and I can't make you do anything of course but just be cautious. You may have gotten lucky, I've heard some people do, but I've also heard a lot of horror stories and had some not so great experiences with the stuff myself in my earlier fish keeping days.
The subject is a little controversial, but my point is why take the risk when there are other methods that are proven to be completely safe for your fish is all. Just a betta safe then sorry sort of thing.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #10 
JerryBerrie

Its also because i cant find any other medicine anywhere i go, only the Melafix and Bettafix :/ but he's healthy, i was cautious when i bought it, I observed him for a while when i started using it, but he's ok :)