Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Inflammed Gills. Please Help us!

So I brought home a little girl who I have seen at petsmart plenty of times. I finally decided what the heck I'll take her home. She is just adorable. I looked up the instructions on how to treat inflammed gills.

First I intalled the heater at 82F. Then I inserted a few silk plants for comfort and security. I added the conditioner to get rid of ammonia from the tap water. I then added the stress coat and 1 tsp/gal of AQ Salt. I slowly acclimated her pouring out her cup water and adding some of the new one. She was swimming around here and there looking for food. I gave her some pellets but she didn't eat them. I just tried some brine shrimp and she munched on it. She seems clamped now even though her water is warm. Is that normal? She is just floating at the top in the corner. I don't have a light in her tank. I figured keeping it dim will be less stressful. Am I doing anything wrong. I really want her to get better! Please help us.

These pictures were from earlier today. Now she has clamped up and stopped exploring!

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Alright first things first, conditioner doesn't get rid of amonia but chlorine and other chemicals from the water.

Alright that said here is what you should do;

Check the temperature and keep it stable, bettas tend to thrive between 75-85 so I think you are ok, but make sure it doesnt fluctuate or the temp gets too high.

Betta fish don't usually eat the first few days of coming home, cause they are getting used to their new homes, don't worry a betta can hold off a couple of days without food.

Just make sure you pull out the uneaten food from the tank as if it sink, rotten food = pollution = bad water quality

Did you rinse out the silk plants before putting them in?

Did you allow the conditioner to settle in the tank for a bit? Like a few hours?

Did you put the right amount of AQ salt?

Just tell me how big your tank is and we can figure some of these questions.Water changes are important, if a small size and unfiltered the more changes you will have to perform.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #3 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
Alright first things first, conditioner doesn't get rid of amonia but chlorine and other chemicals from the water.

Alright that said here is what you should do;

Check the temperature and keep it stable, bettas tend to thrive between 75-85 so I think you are ok, but make sure it doesnt fluctuate or the temp gets too high.

Betta fish don't usually eat the first few days of coming home, cause they are getting used to their new homes, don't worry a betta can hold off a couple of days without food.

Just make sure you pull out the uneaten food from the tank as if it sink, rotten food = pollution = bad water quality

Did you rinse out the silk plants before putting them in?

Did you allow the conditioner to settle in the tank for a bit? Like a few hours?

Did you put the right amount of AQ salt?

Just tell me how big your tank is and we can figure some of these questions.Water changes are important, if a small size and unfiltered the more changes you will have to perform.
Ok, well then I was misinformed on that bottle of Prime!

The temp is still set at 82F, Same as last night

I did a full water change and The only thing I put in this time was the conditioner. I just don't know anymore if I should put in the AQ salt and stress coat. I just have not had good experience with AQ salt. I use the correct dosage 1 teaspoon/gallon and my hospital is one gallon. I rinse everything with hot water. I waited 30 min for the conditioner to set. and when i did use the AQ salt the first time I waited until it dissolved and set. Her fins are all still clamped. I fed her this morning and she was all for it! She does have an appetite. But I'm scared she is headed downhill. Her pectoral fins also look bad.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote