Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 
carolineelisabeth

My fish has a ripped fin?

Her caudal fin has a small rip in it right down the middle... what could this mean, what do I do?
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

He might have torn it on a decoration, or a tank mate(if u have one) could have torn it. Either way, its probably not fin rot, but it could turn into it! So just keep the water clean and add a little aq salt and stress coat to help with healing. Some fish heal really fast(2-3 weeks) while others take a few months. So just be persisitent with the treatment :)
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 
carolineelisabeth

How would I know if it is fin rot? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this! I have three bettas.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #4 
Gracie8890

Ta few ways, the fins would have black or bloody edges, the fins start to disintegrate. The fins get shorter and shorter for no reason. Really there alot of indicators. Also if the fins start to look jagged it COULD be fin rot, but thats not always a good indicator to go by! But my blitz also has a rip in the same area and it was almost down to his body too. My adf did it! But hes slowly healing with 10% water changes daily and aq salt w/ stress coat. I think by the end of the month it will be almost completely healed! Good luck with him and keep us updated!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #5 
Gracie8890

If you want to see what fin rot looks like, you can either google it or alot of people on this site have threads on it (in the disease section) most contain pics. My rescue betta crush also has fin rot, although not severe but his fins were getting shorter and disinegrating. That thread is in the picture section:)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 
carolineelisabeth

Thank you so much! Its my female betta, Claudia with the ripped fin. I cleaned her tank just now with a sponge, scrubbed her gravel and all decorations, and put water conditioner in it. I'm heating it back up with the heater and waiting to put her back in until it's reached his proper temperature. I will have to go get some salt and some stress coat. I rescued a betta today from a petstore, but he's a crowntail so its hard for me to tell if he has fin rot or anything bad because of his fins being the typical crowntail style.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #7 
Gracie8890

Crowntails are hard for me too! Lol, also sometimes a higher protein food will help with healing(not sure if thats true just heard it) so i switched my boys over to omega one betta pellets since there higher in protein and quality!