Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 
Gen2387

5 gallon tank... what to put in it?

So, my dear Admiral Apocalypse passed away yesterday. He was my favorite betta and now I have a 5 gallon tank that is empty. I know 5 gallon is not big but is there another fish specie that can be housed in it? Like guppies or tetras??? If so how many?
Do you have any other fish in mind that I could put in it? What would you recommend?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

A 5 gal isn't large enough for anything but a betta. All small tetra species are shoaling and need tanks larger than 20 gallons. Guppies will quickly overpopulate a 5 gal.

But if you're interested in something different, you could turn it into a shrimp colony. I've never done it but know a few people who have and greatly enjoy it.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 
lelei

What about those Glowfish..if you do 3-4 of those, I think maybe ok..but double check..with LFS..not too sure.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
What about those Glowfish..if you do 3-4 of those, I think maybe ok..but double check..with LFS..not too sure.
Glowfish are just a genetically altered version of zebra danio. They are a HIGHLY active fish and need tanks larger than 20 gallons. They are also a shoaling fish that need to be in groups larger than 10 to avoid fin nipping. They are not a good fit in a 5 gallon tank.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #5 
lelei

Oh, wow..really didnt even know..thanks Koi..when I see the small tanks, again (Petco, not advertising right) another prob here..I thought it was ok..there are some 2-3 gallon that offer "Glowfish kits" unreal..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #6 
Gen2387

Thanks guys. I've decided to transfer Winchester my DT who is in a 3 gallon to the 5 gallon and my VT Alcide to the 3 gallon because he's in a 2 gallon right now. More swimming place for everyone. I'll keep the 2 gallon just in case the betta bug bites again.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Sounds like a good idea! Although I find to keep the betta bug away, it helps to have all of my tanks filled. ;)