Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #1 
miikexo

Community tank setup question

Hey there

I'm thinking about setting up a community tank 10 gallons with a power filter, heater, bubble wall, gravel on the bottom and a few decerations.

The problem is the fish I don't know what types go together well and if I would need to feed them seperate types of food or if I can feed them all one thing.

The fish that I'm thinking about combining are:

4 neon tetra
2-4 guppies (I love the look of guppies)
1 bala shark or rainbow shark (I want to mix in some type of shark if possible)

and something else if there is still enough room

Does anyone have any suggestions (for example are the fish that I would like to combine compatable with eachother and if not what other suggestions would you have)

Any help would be really appreciated :) I wont be putting this together until after christmas (getting a 10gallon starter kit for christmas.)
miikexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 
inuudo

I have nine neon tetras, two yellow guppies (male), and a snail in a ten gallon. Everyone gets along fine.

I have two filters on it right now -- an Aquaclear 20 and a TopFin 10.

The sharks will need a much larger tank size than ten gallons. I think Rainbow sharks get to be about 6 inches and Bala sharks about twice that size. Balas need to be in a school as well.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

Id forgo the sharks and up the tetras.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

The sharks will not work in a 10 gallon. They are a rather boisterous and aggressive fish and need tanks larger than 40 gallons. Remove them completely. (Sources for Bala, rainbow, and red-tailed sharks.)

Tetra are shoaling. This means they need to be around large numbers of their own species to feel comfortable. You should increase the size of the shoal to at least 6 or more if possible. I should also warn you that neon tetra are a sensitive fish. They are also prone to carrying neon tetra disease which is always fatal. A better alternative would be the glowlight tetra (info here) or the x-ray tetra (info here).

I would just remove the guppies all together. A 10 gal isn't as big as you seem to think it is. A shoal of tetra will fill the tank.

And as for a bottom-dwelling species, you are very limited by room here. There are two species of cories that could work, but they are sensitive. Another alternative is to go with shrimp. If you upgrade to a larger tank like a 20 gal or 30 gal you will have a lot more options.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote