Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #21 
SpookyTooth

Distilled water is collected by gathering steam, you can actually distill it yourself. The problem is that it is completely devoid of nutrients so if it is used in an aquarium it really needs to have the vitamins and other such things added back to it. Distilled water is generally free of chlorine, anyway. The issue could be a combination of lack of heat and lack of proper nutrients available in the water.

Distilled and deionised water (very similar) are often used in car batteries and irons to stop limescale building up -- it really shouldn't be used in an aquarium unless you have a very fussy animal in there (I know some people who keep select species of shrimp that use 'pure water' (usually reverse osmosis water) and add nutrients/vitamins/minerals etc to it in order to maintain a stable pH/GH/KH as the species of shrimp are extremely delicate) and know exactly what products to add in order to regain the levels of nutrients required by animals and plants to flourish.

Tap water with water conditioner is, in most places, perfectly fine to use I'm glad to see that the fish has improved.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 10-21-2012 at 04:17 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #22 
fishlover44

My fish is doing AMAZING...hes eating and swimming around and making those bubble things all over...I did have to put him on the flakes which he loves those hes not to fond of the pellets. but luckie is doing awesome thanks to all the advice from all of you! I really appreciate it!
fishlover44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #23 
fishlover44

The only thing is when i use the tap water with conditioner it is a little cloudy but my fish seems very happy so cloudy water is fine with me as long as he likes it! :)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #24 
Karebear13

that is great news! If you want you can get him some freeze dried bloodworms as treats once in a while maybe he will like that!

if you don't mind me asking what type of heater did you buy? Im looking into getting some new heaters and would like to know how you like it
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #25 
fishlover44

I actually just got one from walmart 50w tetra submersible heater...cost about 14.00 and I love it...it keeps my tank at exactly 74 degrees and stays there at all times there is no switch to turn it on and off but if it gets under 74 degrees it turns on and if it gets over 74 turns off...its really nice and handy and it fits in my 2 gallon wine glass tank perfect....my fish loves it actually thats where he is making all his bubble things...lol