Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #1 
Bettafeathers

Question Country water?

I haven't been on for a while here but I come with more questions...

I live on an acreage right now and although the city isn't that far away I do find it difficult to get city tap water on a regular enough basis for my fish. A) I have a two door car and those 5gallon jugs simply do not fit in my car more than one at a time and B) it's a pain to drive that far for a jug of water alone. I think my infrequency of getting fresh water for the fish is the biggest root of my fin rot issues. I get city water because I've been told by many people that you cannot use country/well water for fish?? Is this true or is it a myth? My water system here does chlorinate the water, so I know that I would have to use a dechlorinater like I do with the city water. What concerns should I have about using country water, if any?

I think my ability to get fresh water without driving 40 minutes round trip for city water would help my babies out significantly. My prized boy has a terrible case of fin rot and I think I could tackle it if I could use my water here.

Thanks!
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
ebettalover963

me and my fish are fine so I would say use it
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 
katydidmischief

I use well water with tap water conditioner and I haven't had a problem.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 
Bettafeathers

After all those water jugs hauled, you guys mean to say that I didn't have to!?!

Good to know! I didn't know why it would be an issue but I figured it would be better to err on the side of caution than lose my bettas. I'll start switching them over I think and see how it goes.

Thanks for you input
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #5 
LizzyP

Why would country water be worse? If anything I think it'd be better...Doesn't go through all the crap city water goes through. Plus it tastes better, to me anyway. I'm on well water and I've never had a problem. Just make sure you use conditioner! :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 
Bettafeathers

I have honestly no idea why it would be worse!! That is a valid point. Glad to know that I'll be safe to use my water here. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I used well water with conditioner when I had my first betta (they ran city water up our street soon after), and he was fine.
I agree with Lizzy- it does taste better! Ugh, city water is nasty and always tastes like chlorine.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
country water