Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #1 
Maddybelle's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama
New sponge filter

I just got my sponge filter for my breeding/fry tank, and I'm completely lost. What is the little tube thingy at the top? It looks like a periscope I know this is a silly question, but I've never used one of these kajiggers before, and I have absolutely no idea how they work.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #2 
vilmarisv's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Next to the "periscope" there's a little open tube that is where you're going to attach your airline tubbing.
The periscope can either go inside or outside the water, that's where the clean water comes out of.
I'm attaching a picture of my very dirty filter that I've had for... well, a while.
Sorry it's not a better picture but my tank is covered with plants and this was the best angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	66754  
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #3 
Reference Team
Hallyx's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
They work by injecting air into the bottom of the "riser tube." As they rise, the air bubbles drag along some water. This sets up a flow through the filter.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
There are two types of sponge filters: the ones that stick on the side of your aquarium via a suction cup and the ones that stand alone in your tank. Both have a little nozzle that the airline needs to connect to. It sounds like you're using the one that sticks on the side when you mention the periscope, if so, that is where the air bubbles will escape from. There should be a small nozzle near that that you hook the airline on to.

The above shows a stand-alone sponge filter but this layout is the exact same for ones that stick on the side of the aquarium, too. Your air pump is connected via airline to a gang valve that controls the air output of the filter (these often come with the air pump but sometimes have to be purchased seperately), the gang valve is then connected to the sponge filter via more airline. If you want, you can install a non-return valve before the gang valve to stop water backtracking down the pipe and into the air pump. Non-return valves are usually dirt cheap and are highly recommended.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aqueon 2.5 filter or sponge filter? bankruptjojo Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 04-05-2015 11:53 AM
Converting a normal filter into a sponge filter? Bambi Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 10-29-2011 08:44 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.