Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 
metalbass5

Diagnosis?

Hi there. I would like to start by admitting that I am a Betta noob. Upon further investigation I will be upgrading our current enclosures as soon as possible. So yes, I am aware that my current aquarium setup is likely not adequate. I am much more accustomed to keeping reptiles, and I am a bit out of my element. The care sticky has cleared things up considerably.

Now, on to the issue:

My girlfriend and I recently acquired two Bettas, both of which seem to be ill. I suspect that our red (pictures will be posted) is suffering from a pretty decent case of velvet, and our black crown appears to have the odd tuft of bacterial/fungal growth too. I have always been a responsible pet owner, and I have a penchant for rescue animals. Both of our Bettas seem to qualify, and as such I plan to do everything in my power to treat them, and revamp their habitat. I was just looking for some advice and a confirmation on my diagnosis. I will most likely be treating both fish with the same treatment, as I am positive that both enclosures are contaminated.

Pics of the red are attached. Pics of second Betta are forthcoming.
Attached Images

metalbass5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks like more of a Betta suffering from bad conditions so looking forward to his new tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
metalbass5

Yeah, definitely bumping them up into larger enclosures ASAP. What they were in before was much worse, believe me.

The gold is what concerns me. It can be difficult to differentiate between velvet and natural iridescence. Not to mention the odd tuft of fuzz here and there on both fish.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks like shine to me.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 
metalbass5

Thanks. I'll hold off on the velvet treatment, and keep an eye on the tufts, to ensure that it is not a runaway bacterial issue. Currently doing a water change, hopefully that will have them perked up for a while. They are coming from some pretty deplorable conditions, so I will stay on top of it, and post again if anything seems to change. Our crown has lost his appetite, so I shall be keeping a close eye on him over the next few days.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

i'm afraid that picture's not clear enough for us to diagnose velvet, but as for the white fluff, that sounds like a fungus, possibly columnaris. there are a wide variety of antifungal medications available at any pet store or even walmart. just steer clear of anything with -fix (melafix, pimafix, bettafix) as they shouldn't be used for antabanids like bettas and gouramis since they pose a serious harm risk to their labyrinth organs (aka primitive lungs that allow them to breathe air)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #7 
metalbass5

Thank you kindly. I will invest in the anti fungal today. As far as the velvet goes, he has a gold/silvery sheen across his mouth and anterior gill region. It is definitely reflective, and much more noticeable under the white LED I used for the picture. I have a few others that can be uploaded if it may help in making a diagnosis one way or the other.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The fins are a tell tell sign of sickness I saw nothing wrong with the body I just assumed the white area was part of his fin seen it on many healthy red Bettas but your probably right.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 
metalbass5

Upon further investigation the iridescence seems to be a natural trait among this particular morph. Will start with the anti fungal for the potential columnaris, and see if the crowns appetite improves.

(Thanks to terror for the warning on the medications. I was aware that bettafix was potentially dangerous, but not the others.)
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 
sainthogan

When my girl had velvet, her all her fins were completely clamped, almost like someone had taken them and twisted them into a long, thin string, and with a flashlight, you could see the gold and rust color all over her body. In your picture, it almost looks like his tail is starting to take on the twisted look, so it is possible. Given the red color of your guy, I would bet that you would need to take a flashlight to see for sure any rust or gold colored "dust" or film on him. Also, look at the gills first, as that is usually where velvet starts (not always I know), you tend to see it a little darker and thicker near the gills.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote