Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #1 
LeviiStar

Question Poor little Kuiper!

Hello all!

I'm desperately hoping I can get some advice as to what I can do for my blue male betta, Kuiper.

I bought him from a reputable aquarium and he was quite small. My logic was - the smaller, the younger - and that he would grow. There were no issues at all for the first three or so months but it has been all downhill from there. 1 year later and he's been up and down, sick and then healthy again after suggested treatment, only to become 'unwell' again not long after, the previous treatment no longer being effective.

The thing is, I've never been able to put my finger on just what is wrong with the poor little guy - and now he's really really sick.

Your help would be immensely appreciated!

Question time.

Housing
What size is your tank? 17 litres
What temperature is your tank? 27 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, under gravel with.. uh, like a 3 step bio filter in the back compartment.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No stone, but there's an output thingy that streams water from the back part. It's angled so it doesn't produce a current but still creates some surface tension.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, morning and night. Fed 1-3 each meal time but over time he wouldn't eat as much and it became 1 each meal time. Now, I'm lucky if he'll eat 1 during either time I try to feed him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly, bi-weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? I have my water tested at my local aquarium. I was told the water was good, although on one occasion the salt content was 10 times what it should have been. I promptly corrected this over a number of water changes.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins have shrunk to nothing. He's lost weight. His gills stick out.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He spits out his food or shows no interest in it, hides from me, sits on the bottom of the tank and looks like he's having trouble breathing.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6 months, give or take. He's come good after treatment in the past but this last episode has been going on for about 1-2 weeks. New symptoms being a clamped tail and hiding.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, raising the tempersture, more frequent water changes and pimafix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.. :(
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years.

Pictures
When I first got him:
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er_media_share

And now:

LeviiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Ah... I don't know what to say, you're already doing aq salt and proper care, and you owned this fish for 1,5 years... all i can tell that he is glassy eyed and has fin rot...

It could be he is getting old, I know how bettas can live 2-5 years but, we do not know how old they are when we get them in the store--

I'm sorry, I'll ask around and see. Try pming one the senior members here for help, I hear that oldfishlady has plenty of experience when it comes down to ill fish..

And good luck, and don't loose hope. :)
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Is it possible he is older than that? I know you said he was small, did he ever grow much? Maybe he was older than you think he was when you bought him.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
sunlight

sorry you are having a problem:( For 17 liters tank i would more water changes,weekly at least 50% water changes with gravel vacuum , filter media has to be swish/washed in the old water WITH water change. And if you having a problelm then even more then that ....
I was not able to see the pictures.
But what i would recommend stop Pimafix. You wrote that you have been using aquarium salt. What the dose of it and how long you using it. If you using not therapeutic dose it will not help. Do not follow the box instructions it just for preventative care.
Now i read the symptoms you didn't mentioned that he is bloated. Just want to clarify it because it would make the difference.
Pre mix 2 teaspoons of the aquarium salt in one gall jug or in the cup if tou you don't have one gall. You can put him in the smaller container or just lower the water. You need to lower the water any way so it easier for him to swim up to the surface. You need to do 100% daily water changes. See if it will help. Aq salt has antibacterial/fungal effect.
Now you wrote that you increased his temperature. Some bettas get stressed with sudden temp increasing. You wrote he has difficulty yo breath is it look like he gasping for air when he goes to the top? What temp you have him in?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote