Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 
Greekalphabet

Help please! I don't want to lose another one!

I just got my purple salamander plaket (his name is Iota). I've had him for about two weeks now. He's slowly become listless and is resting way too much, even with stimulation from me ("Hey buddy! finger waggle "wake up little man!"). He's still eating...my water was just tested yesterday and it was zero for both ammonia and nitrates. As I left this morning I found him up by the filter again and this time just laying on his side - tipping. I hate it when they TIP!
So, quick stats: 4 gallon Aqueon with filter and live plants. Shares the tank with two ghost shrimp. Tank is new but cycled. Temp is constant 78 degrees, (preset heater). If he's bloating I haven't seen any signs of pineconing. Haven't seen any waste so couldn't tell you anything about that. Have been feeding him 3-4 betta mini floating wafers (Hikari) brand per day, and one day he had 1 bloodworm, broken up first.
Sorry, don't have time to do the worksheet - have to go! Any advice is helpful!!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 
lelei

Hello, and Welcome, I am not familiar with wafers, and I am wondering if it maybe too much for him, if he is not bloated, he may start showing that, if he is constipated, If your not seeing waste, could be the reason he is starting to tip.

Also are you using a Water conditioner, and how often are you doing your water changes?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 
Greekalphabet

I'm doing 50% water changes, twice now since I set up the tank - ...oops! I've only had him since last Wednesday night (of last week), so not two weeks yet. Hmm...I wonder if he is constipated - what would you suggest? And yes, I'm using a water conditioner plus stress coat each time I change out the water. Thanks for your insight!! Should I feed him a pea? I've heard of that but am unsure how to do it - do I offer it to him on a toothpick or squish it up? Cooked or raw? I'm guessing thawed would be best. :) I'll try whatever you think. I hope he's still with me when I go home tonight...

Last edited by Greekalphabet; 10-18-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: word smithing
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 
Greekalphabet

I just got ahold of my aquarist and she suggested 1 1/4 tsp of epsom salts to help with the constipation, plus something called "betta revive". I'll be removing plants and shrimp and doing 50% water changes every day for three days, then 100% water change before reintroducing plants and shrimp. I only have one other tank and no other great light source for the plants - I have a concern about putting my plants into the other tank in case I cross contaminate if the problem isn't just constipation. Can I place the plants in a jar, cover with saran wrap, use a mini heater, place in front of a window - would they make it? Or am I being paranoid? :) I just don't want to lose any other fish and hate the idea of nuking my tank. Thanks for your feedback!