Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Lightbulb Moving a tank?

So I know it is only October but I wanted to ask early (mostly so I wouldnt forget to ask in the future). I live in a dorm and our university gets almost a whole month off for Winter Break (pretty much all of December). I currently have a 10 gallon glass tank with Leo and 3 Albino Cories. I don't want to leave them here because our university actually kicks us out and we are not allowed back until a week before the new semester starts. So my question is, what is the best way to transport my fish to my house? I only live about 90 minutes from my school and it's all highway, so smooth roads. I have an empty 3 gallon plastic tank- could I put them in there for the ride home, or should I place them in something else? (i will be taking my 10 gallon with me so they will not be squished inside that tiny 3 gallon all break lol). I still have the cup Leo came in but I'm worried about my cories. Any advice is appreciated! (:
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
So I know it is only October but I wanted to ask early (mostly so I wouldnt forget to ask in the future). I live in a dorm and our university gets almost a whole month off for Winter Break (pretty much all of December). I currently have a 10 gallon glass tank with Leo and 3 Albino Cories. I don't want to leave them here because our university actually kicks us out and we are not allowed back until a week before the new semester starts. So my question is, what is the best way to transport my fish to my house? I only live about 90 minutes from my school and it's all highway, so smooth roads. I have an empty 3 gallon plastic tank- could I put them in there for the ride home, or should I place them in something else? (i will be taking my 10 gallon with me so they will not be squished inside that tiny 3 gallon all break lol). I still have the cup Leo came in but I'm worried about my cories. Any advice is appreciated! (:
If i'm driving with my fish, I usually have them in a polystyrene box with a plastic lining type thing with warm water, and I put them in there. It should be fine if you use them in something like that, or a bucket, so long as it's not too bumpy or too long.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

Pretty much the same thing with my school, only I'm three hours from home. I got these Tupperware containers that latch and seal shut but have a small hole in the lid to let out steam in the microwave - I put my fish in those with tank water, wrap the containers in towels, and put it in a cooler. For the bettas, I just make sure the hole on top is open and isn't covered by towels; for the other fish I do pretty much the same thing but run an air stone and airline tubing through the hole in the top, attach it to an air pump, and plug the pump into an adapter that changes a wall plug into 12V. Phew... That sounded way more complicated than it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 
sunstar93

It's funny because my new car actually has that kind of adaptor (: and they will be okay for the hour and a half? I worry because I hate the thought of traumatizing them lol. Thanks for the advice..l already feel better about taking them home. Actually winter break will be the first time my parents learn about my tank..haha.
Also, the dog in your avatar pic is so pretty!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
It's funny because my new car actually has that kind of adaptor (: and they will be okay for the hour and a half? I worry because I hate the thought of traumatizing them lol. Thanks for the advice..l already feel better about taking them home. Actually winter break will be the first time my parents learn about my tank..haha.
Betta do well in transport for around an hour, but they would easily be able to last 1 1/2 hours :)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 
twolovers101

I have a 3 hour trip to make also... and was looking for transport ideas :D *lurks*
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
I have a 3 hour trip to make also... and was looking for transport ideas :D *lurks*
Three hours? wow! :o
They should be sweet, but maybe if you're concerned about temperature use an insulated container, or change the water halfway through x)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #8 
sunstar93

I can make it in an hour if there is no traffic :P
I'm just worried about the sun shining on them and making them too hot. Would it be okay if I draped a towel over the container I'm transporting their cups in? (I live in Texas and the sun alone makes it very hot, especially if you are sitting right in it.)
Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #9 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Thanks! lol Although I think he prefers handsome
Ooo... Lucky! I got an adaptor online. This'll be the first time I'll be moving three tanks and all the fish that live in them, but moving a ten gallon really isn't bad. For my situation, by the time I get the fish in containers and into the cooler, break down the tank, move everything to my car, drive where I'm going, get there, and get everything set up to where the fish can be put back into their tanks, they've usually been in there for around five to six hours - so I'd say your betta and the cories will have no problem with an hour and a half! The fish really don't seem overly bothered by the trip, but you do need to re-acclimate them to the tank when you get back, just as you would when you first bring a fish in from the store. I do tend to not feed them for a day or two before and after the move in attempts to keep the water a bit cleaner durring transport. I think it'd be ok to put a towel over them, at least on the air issue - temperature issues where I am in Iowa and Illinois tend to be more around keeping the fish warm... Maybe get one of those styrofoam coolers and keep them in that?

In case you're interested, these are the containers I use:
Sterilite at Target
They come in lots of sizes, you can practically tip them over and not loose any water, and the vent in the lid is just big enough to comfortably pass airline tubing through.

Leah

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 10-18-2012 at 11:30 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #10 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
Three hours? wow! :o
They should be sweet, but maybe if you're concerned about temperature use an insulated container, or change the water halfway through x)
Lol, 3 hours is nothing when you live in Texas XD
So you think putting them in the cups they came in, in an insulated container with a towel and maybe a couple of hand warmers on top of the towel (and no where near the fish in case they over heat) should be okay?
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote