Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #11 
asukabetta

Dont treat for dropsy, because most of us don't see it so, treat bloatness first. epsom salt. watch for progress, reduce food rations.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
Hey everyone,

I do have a heater for his tank that I ordered a week ago. Unfortunately it's late. I intend to heat his tank as soon as possible.
I have tried fasting him for a day. Nothing changed.
I know I shouldn't medicate, but I'm fairly certain and I'm so afraid I'll lose him if I wait too long if it is dropsy!
I'm really freaked out because I had recently taken in a fish with terminal dropsy. I am so afraid that I accidentally slipped up somewhere when I fed them, or changed their tanks. And if that is the case (that his dropsy is extremely contagious), I'm terrified of potentially losing my seven other fish that I have here.
I really do hope it's just the temperature. It's not impossible seeing as how temperatures are dropping. I might contact Sakura just in case to see what they think of this.

And thank you EVERYONE very, very much! I really appreciate the help.

I'll keep you posted once I get the heater.
I completely understand being concerned about the possibility of Dropsy, it certainly is something rather scary to try and deal with because its a symptom that usually means whatever internal problem thats causing it has gone too far....
But the same time, unless you are very VERY positive that you are seeing signs of some sort of bacterial infection, which it really doesn't at all sound or look like he might have, its best not to medicate because that CAN put unnecessary stress on your fish and cause a lot more problems then it will do good.
So calm down, take a deep breath.....and get your guy into some unmedicated water(if you would like to continue using Epsom salt for a few days, that won't hurt, but I personally don't think it will do much good...). I've seen lots of fish that look just like you're boy, I myself am pretty close to 100% positive that he just has some temperature-related bloating since he is clearly still eating and pooping and looks as if his color is pretty good. His belly also really isn't all that large......generally when I've come across Dropsy, the fish look almost as if they swallowed a marble.

I bet you anything he will improve drastically within a few days of a nice, proper, stable temperature with a heater. ;) I hope you can get it in soon to help put your mind at ease a little.
Also, you'll want to start changing his water a little more often in that 1 gallon....2 50% and 1 100% should do it.....and no need to use spring water at all really. Just plain ol' conditioned tap water should be just fine.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #13 
Friendlyfishies

I agree...it doesnt look like dropsy, but it does look like bloat.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #14 
LittleFish2012

And the verdict is... not dropsy.
I just got the heater in yesterday (FINALLY!!) and he's already beginning to look more normal.
Thank you everyone, and sorry if I was overreacting! :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #15 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
And the verdict is... not dropsy.
I just got the heater in yesterday (FINALLY!!) and he's already beginning to look more normal.
Thank you everyone, and sorry if I was overreacting! :)
don't worry, we all do whenit comes down to the health of our pets.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bloat, dropsy, sick