Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 
roximessenger

Question Bettas and Tetras and Frogs

I have a male and female betta in with several tetras and 2 frogs. They all get along just fine. I planned on taking out my female if I noticed her all striped and a bubble nest. This morning I noticed a line of bubbles and my female paralyzed. My male keeps going up and down the tank. Have they already mated through the night while I was asleep or are they getting ready? Should I take the female out? Is it safe to leave the other fish and frogs in?
roximessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

TAKE HER OUT NOW

Males and females should NEVER live together, he could try to kill her unless she is ready to breed. Males are very territorial and will attack and kill even a female. Male betta's should not for any reason live with another betta ever. There is a reason they are called fighting fish. Remove the female now and get her her own tank. If she has stopped moving or looks wounded there is a chance he has been attacking her and stressing her out. She could die from this.

Are you trying to breed your betta's? If so you are doing it all wrong. There should never be other animals in the breeding tank aside from your breeding pair. If you are trying to breed get another 10 gallon tank for the frogs and tetra's, they will eat the eggs.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 10-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

i'm gonna second lady vic and say she needs to be removed NOW, along with the male and nest. if they did happen to accidentally spawn (him repeatedly moving up and down sounds a LOT like he's replacing eggs or fry in the nest) then he will be VERY aggressive with anyone else in the tank. he and the nest should be put in a bare-bottomed tank, and you need to start amassing growout supplies if you want to salvage any fry. if you don't you still need to get both bettas out of that tank immediately for everyone's safety.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #4 
roximessenger

I took the female out and she is not harmed at all. I'm going to wait till the male is done. The other fish aren't bothering him at all. How do I remove the nest?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 
roximessenger

The bubbles are gone now so I'm guessing there were no eggs but I went ahead and but her in a different tank. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 
LadyVictorian

Now don't let them live together again, that is very dangerous and you are very lucky the male didn't kill her. It sounds like they were both very stressed by that whole situation.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, fry, other fish