Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #1 
Blacklight

What's the least stressful way to temp acclimate a betta?

I was wondering about this. I have a small, 16 ounce, clip on breeder tank that I use for temperature acclimating fish.

Now I was wondering. When a new fish solitary fish (betta) goes into a fresh tank, would it make more sense to heat the tank to the desired temperature and then put the fish in the clip on breeder tank in there to acclimate the fish that way?

Or should I have the temperatures similar between the tank and the breeder tank, acclimate the temperature between them, release the fish, and THEN start incrementally dialing up the temperature on the heater?

Which way makes the most sense or are they both equal?
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 
pittipuppylove

Hmm... The way I've acclimated mine is most similar to the first way. However, I could see where the second way you listed could work well too as long as the temperature doesn't raise too quickly in the main tank.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #3 
LizzyP

When I do water changes I use water that is pretty close to the original water (+/- 1-2 degrees). Then I just put the fish (in the cups they came in) in the tank to float. Since its usually spot on since the water comes out of the faucet at 80 degrees I don't float them for long, maybe 10 minutes.

So I guess that's similar to your first technique.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #4 
Kenny G

In my opinion I say go back to basic's. Put your betta in a cup or bag and float it in the new tank for 30-45 minutes so your betta can gradually adjust the the temperature change.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #5 
SpookyTooth

If I find I need to do a larger water change than usual (or am moving a betta to a different tank, whether it is permanent housing or treatment) is remove the fish in a measuring jug, do the water change as required, hook the jug over the side of the tank via the handle then gradually remove old water and replace it with the new stuff in the main tank over the course of 30 - 45 minutes. This gives the fish a chance to adjust both to temperature and water chemistry.

From my experience the first method you mention seems to be the least stressful and achieves the desired result efficiently.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 
Myates

I keep my tank heaters at the bottom of the tank sideways as to not have to turn them off during a change. I replace with like-temp water, but if it's off a bit, then it will quickly get to the right temp. I would have the tank at the correct temperature prior to acclimating him, but there is no real reason to do that, it's just my opinion to have everything set and ready before adding in a new fish.

When acclimating a fish to a new tank you don't want to just do temp acclimation, you should also be doing chemistry acclimation as well as Spooky mentioned. While acclimating him/her to the chemistry you are also acclimating them to the temp at a good pace.

Personally I don't acclimate nearly as long as it is recommended.. but then again I have never lost a fish during an acclimation in nearly 20 years. I float in a cup, every few minutes or so I take a bit of old water out, replace with tank water.. repeat process a couple times so they are really only in the cup for 10-15 mins or so. The temps generally don't take long for mine to even out, as I'm at the point where I can get the new water to within a degree of what the tank is set at (like I said, nearly 20 years so I've learned to tell temp by feel lol). So my fish are just acclimating to any difference in chemistry/pH rather than temp.

So once you've had your guy for a bit and the tank is settled, it will take shorter time to do a change (and this is based off a tank 5+ gallons, cycled, etc). Anything smaller then you will most likely have to take the longer route to acclimate him to chemistry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 
SpookyTooth

I don't think 30-45 minutes would be required, but I tend to take longer to do things anyway so it works for me; sometimes Kaze doesn't allow it to take that long and jumps out of where he's being kept and back into the tank
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote