Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 
Tikibirds

Arrow New handicaped girl

I found this one in petsmart last week. She seems to be doing OK and swims fairly OK. Her tummy also does not look as big as it did last week.

Her name is KIKYO
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 
Creat

Looks like it might be tuberculosis if it is be very careful with her as she could pose a danger to you. The best thing if it is would be to euthanize her but if you chose not to Kanamycin can help. I do hope that it isnt and it is just a developmental skeletal deformity.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 
LeoTheLakerBetta

:O I hope it isn't tuberculosis! You are a good person for trying to help this poor little girl. I wish her all the best!
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

that spinal curve COULD be the result of aquatic TB, but i see no evidence of any skin lesions or lost scales, which is usually the first symptom to manifest itself. if she's not infectious, and doesn't have any physical difficulties, then congratulations on having the most unique betta i've seen all week :)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I don't as of now, think its TB.

Quote:
The main symptoms of fish tuberculosis are loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body, wasting, and skeletal deformities such as curved spines.
I am not seeing any of that - other then the spine thing and I think that may of been a birth defect. The pictures of fish TB I have seen online - they don't really look like her. No missing scales but she does have a rash? I did a round of Furan 2 but I'll get some kanaplex just in case. It might just be her coloring too.

I would think she would also have clamped fins, which she does not. She pretty much acts like a healthy fish

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-18-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 
Creat

We had a tetra like that a work who didnt show any of the lesions and acted normal besides the spine curve we couldn't sell him so he was humanly euthanized turned out to be tb ... but i am still hoping for her its not :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
No missing scales but she does have a rash? I did a round of Furan 2 but I'll get some kanaplex just in case. It might just be her coloring too.

I would think she would also have clamped fins, which she does not. She pretty much acts like a healthy fish
I have a few that look like they have a "rash" but I am positive it is their coloring. She looks normal to me also, except for the deformity. I wonder why they didn't cull her? Anyway, good thing they didn't and you found her.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #8 
registereduser

So if it is TB does the deformity happen after they get the disease or are they born that way?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I "think" TB makes the spine curve..?

She's not an adult yet. Maybe they didn't notice her or didn't care.

The rash is on both side so I think it is her normal coloring. I have another that was a baby from petco. She has very similar coloring as well. I though she was diseased for a while cause she had weird red marks on her head

The plastic makes her look like she has things on her head but there is nothing really there.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-19-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #10 
homegrown terror

that's not a rash, she's just a redhead.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote