Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Thumbs up Thinking of rescuing, any advice??

So I am thinking of getting another little friend 3 is just not enough for me ha! And after reading many post about rescues I would like to rescue from my local petco just would like some advice. Right now with school I am home alot and only gone all day on thursdays so I will have plenty of time to devote. I also know that some pet stores may give you fish in bad condition that wouldnt otherwise sell, how would I go about asking? Thanks! I really hope to rescue, I hate seeing the little guys suffer. One last thing any tips if I was to rescue a baby? I hate seeing the little ones left and all sad (I currently have a baby doing amazingly right now and have plenty of frozen food and other fry food as well as space for atleast 2 maybe more babies)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You will need lots of medicine.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Plenty of heater's too, some hospital tanks go for jars if your in a pinch as long as their at least 1.5 they'll do for a hospital tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

I just rescued a female betta yesterday. At the register I asked the girl if I could have her for free because she had bad fin rot and I had stuff at home to take care of her. So she called over the manager who was at the next register and he said, "Oh yeah, I see that." and asked if I had stuff at home to treat her and I said I did so he said ok. I guess you just have to ask. I don't know if the girl at the register would have said yes if the manager wasn't right at the next register, though. But I would say, just ask- either at the register or if you see another employee around the store. You probably have to have lots of medicine, like Chocolate Betta said, if you plan on getting any fish who looks sick. With mine, I knew she just had fin rot. Otherwise she looked fine- moving around a lot. And I know from my research on this board that most cases of fin rot can be healed by warm, clean water, aquarium salt, and stress coat. So I was pretty confident I have all the supplies I need to get her back on track.
Although after I put her in her tank I realized she has swim bladder disorder (can't really leave the top of the water, leaning over to the side a little), but I know that can sometimes be cleared up by a good poop. haha. I also read that it could be caused by high nitrates, so being out into water with low to no nitrates can also clear it up. I'll just keep my eye on her for a couple days and if she doesn't get better then I'll try some epsom salts.
So I guess the real basics to have are a hospital tank, heater, aquarium salt, and Stress Coat. But if the fish looks really sick in the store- like more than fin rot, you should probably make sure to buy some meds for parasites and stuff like that.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 
lelei

Yes, just ask, some Petco's won't from what they told me last time I saw a sick King, that I was going to take, they said they cannot sell "Any Sick Fish" because it's against their policy..hmm, that was sketchy, because I hear others do it, so I said when I brought to the register, can I speak with a supervisor, and there was not one there, they had to make a call, and they still said no.

But I think because it was a king, a little more expensive, however, every store is different, and sometimes you need to make your point, will the fish sell, how will you take care of it, if I don't get to help him myself, will he still be able to be sold, if not ask for at least half price..and Hope all goes well for you and your rescues..they are the ones that truly give you that special feeling, because you know it's not the best looking fish, but it's the one that needs the love the most:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also IAL, aquarium salt, and different brands of pellets like live food will helo in recovery.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

I have 4 3/4 gallon tanks, a 1 gallon and a 1/2 gallon all not being used plus a 3 gallon and 5 gallon so on, I have both salts and I have heaters plus some meds and I live near petco if i needed to run and get some. I also have a bunch of different foods as well as different frozen food but i know where to get live food if it came to that.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 
rubinthebetta

Oh my gosh! I've been looking all over for advice on rescuing bettas, and I've almost given up, just about to ask the question on here instead of reasearching, then lo and behold! Someone asked the same question I was about to ask! lol
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Maggie do you only keep the Bettas in the micro-tanks temporaly?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #10 
MaggieLynn

Yes the smaller under gallon tanks were for quarantine purposes. right now I only have 3 fish but before I had a divided ten gallon, some 5 gallons and a 3 gallon tank that my fish were in. I have a female temporarily in a 1 gallon and my baby in a 1/2 gallon for now while he grows soon the female will be in the 3 gallon, and baby moved up as he/she grows, so i will have plenty of room to go from a qt tank to a normal tank for a rescue