Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #1 
skepkat

Quarantine Q's (betta as well as other fish)

Questions about quarantine.

1. Appropriate time? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month....

2. Tanks size for betta? What about other fish? Neon tetras? Mollys? Others?

3. School size while in quarantine? For instance, the tetras ... if I only need one or two to add to the school I currently have, will those two be OK in quarantine for several weeks?

I really want a nice community tank or two, but I'm really getting confused by the conflicting information I'm finding.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

When getting new fish a lot of experienced aquarist will quarantine for 4-6 wks as some diseases take a while to show. The "standard" tank size from what I see is a 10g tank. You don't want to add too many fish at once because that can overwhelm your BB in your main tank so its best to do a few or one school at a time. I currently have 3 female Bettas in a 10g QT & 1 in a 1g. The one in the 1g will be moved into the 10g within the next couple of days & then all 4 will be moved into the 46g within the next few weeks. Hope I helped answer your questions.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Hey there Skepkat. :)

1: I generally hear that about 2-4 weeks is a good QT time. I believe just about anything the fish may have had should show up by then.

2: Going by minimum long-term tank size.....
A Single Betta-2/2.5 gallons.
A proper school of neon tetras(or other peaceful small schooling species, with or without a betta)-10 gallons.
Mollies-you may be able to get away with a 10 gallon with a couple of balloon mollies, but just about any other species needs 20+ gallons. They get large and tend to be rather aggressive and really are more brackish water fish, so they're not Betta-compatible.
For others-It depends on the species obviously, but most fish species, Betta-compatible or not, need at least 10 gallons with or without a betta.

3: If you are QTing a couple of extra tetras to add onto your school, yes, they should be just fine for a couple/few of weeks.

Hope I could be of some help. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepkat View Post
Questions about quarantine.

1. Appropriate time? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month....

2. Tanks size for betta? What about other fish? Neon tetras? Mollys? Others?

3. School size while in quarantine? For instance, the tetras ... if I only need one or two to add to the school I currently have, will those two be OK in quarantine for several weeks?

I really want a nice community tank or two, but I'm really getting confused by the conflicting information I'm finding.
1. Absolute minimum of 2 weeks, but you may want to do even longer than that. The longer the better.

2. Honestly since it is a quarantine tank, you want it to be fairly small and easy to clean. I'd say .75 gallon MINIMUM for a betta in QT given the proper water changes are done.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote