Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 
Robotponys

Opinions on my pair

I am attempting to breed my lfs bettas. I've been feeding live blackworms and occasional pea pieces to condition. The male changes color in different lighting and is a hmpk from a lfs. I had them in my 5 gallon at first, but he wasn't building a nest, so I moved him to a slightly smaller tank with no filter and now he has a huge nest under an IAL. In the right lighting his fins turns a beautiful blue, but they're mostly peachy with hints of purple and yellow.
The girl is conditioned. Cambodian hm from lfs. She has a bit of blue iridescence in her fins sometimes.
I have her in a chimney now in the tank and he's been flaring. I released her before, but she just ran away and hid. She is not showing submissive behavior or flaring at him. He's at first gentle, but becomes frustrated when she doesn't respond and starts nipping and chasing.
Pics will be posted if needed. Suggestions? I can try to get another female if needed. Is it possible she's too old?

Yes, I know all the work that I have to put into spawning bettas. I have people to give bettas to and I will cull pretty strictly. I do have a huge tank I can set up if I have to at my dads house. Thank you! :)
Attached Images

Robotponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 
Robotponys

The male :)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  56.0 KB

Sorry for sideways pics... I can only use one attachment per reply and I'm in my phone...
Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

:O look who it is!
If you can provide a photo of both bettas flaring in prifile, the breeders here will be able to tell you what possible coloration and finnage will result. form seems pretty important...

As far as I know, you need to condition with lots of live food and no peas. where did the pea thing come from? betta fish are carnivores and dont take too well to vegetables :D If you are treating for bloat daphnia works just as good

If the femals doesnt show submissive stripes in the container with the male swimming around her, I'm not sure she's ready to breed... but a bit of nippig here and there doesn't matter. as long as they're not killing each other it should be fine. frayed fins are normal, apparently.

I do believe that the major consesus is to breed fish that are closer in color. I think red is a dominant gene and is generally undesired by breeders...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 
Mo

That female is NICE :) if I were you I would get a red HM male to bred her with. This Male HMPK isn't a a suitable fish. IMO he has really bad form
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #5 
Robotponys

Hi aokashi! She's from the sorority tank at Win. He'a from aquastar.

Thanks for you input guys! :) I will try to find a new male, but I don't really want to ship one in. Is there a thread telling me what to look out for in form? I strongly prefer a plakat.

I think my female is too old for breeding unforunately. I'm going to go betta hunting soon after a bit more research. :)

Edit: sorry, pressed submit accidentally... :) Peas are a laxative for bettas and I was feeding to my deceased old betta :'( so dropped a few pieces in for them. She absolutely loves it, he's not as crazy over them.

I can't see her stripes because of her light coloring. I just realized the lighting makes her look really good. She's pretty, but has lots of markings on her body.

I don't really want red bettas, so I will know to not pick a red color if possible. :) thanks.

Here's a better pic of the male if anyone wants to comment on him
Views: 115
Size:  45.6 KB

Last edited by Robotponys; 10-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #6 
rubinthebetta

Well, I'm helping my friend with breeding her bettas, so I have some advice.(due to a bunch of research to help my friend). First off, aokashi is correct. You should try to get the fish that are as close in color as possible. Second, good job conditioning them. One thing though, wait until the female has verticle stripes before releasing her into the tank. Please post some more pictures (of the bubblenest and such) and I will try to give good advice.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 
Robotponys

Thank you! I didn't have breeding in mind when I bought them so I can buy a better pair locally later.
Closer to reality pic of the female:
Views: 112
Size:  56.0 KB
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

i wouldn't ever breed a betta from aquastar...he's got a reputation for putting out overpriced bettas with very poor form.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 
Mo

But he DOES put really nice Bettas for a good price for him color and finnagge = Monday as that's what people buy and good form is just the 20 dollar fish to him. He places really well in thailand
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Robot ponys is talking anout the LFS XD

they sell half moons there for $6 and veitails for $2
ao is offline   Reply With Quote