Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 
milkytea

New to Betta

Hello~! ♥

I found this forum when looking for information about betta fish, and I have been so thrilled to find so much to read and learn. I have never kept a betta before, although I have previously maintained aquariums. (Generally I like goldfish~)

For a few months I had been pondering the idea of getting a fish tank for my office. I spend a lot of time there (sometimes... too much time...) the idea of having an office pet was very appealing. Recently a new coworker moved into the desk next to mine, and when I mentioned my fish dreams she was all for it. Between the two of us we did some reading and decided on a betta.

We snuck in a 5-gallon aquarium with filter and heater, had plants shipped in (I initially bought plants at PetCo, but fell for the "non aquatic plants posing as aquatic plants" and had to return them. Thankfully I Googled the plant varieties when I got home; they never went anywhere near the tank. It was very frustrating to be duped!!!), washed the plants, and tested the water, and generally got the tank set up for the fish.

Yesterday my coworker and I took a trip to Old Town Aquarium (which is a wonderful fish store in Chicago that I would definitely recommend--they had gorgeous, healthy betta fish) after work and selected a betta. I returned and stayed late that night to acclimate him slowly and without too much stress. We named him this morning, Finntan. He's provided us so much entertainment already. Everyone else in the office is really jealous, and he's quickly becoming celebrity. XD

(This picture was taken with my phone right after he had been fully introduced into the tank.)

I'm really happy that this forum is such a great resource! I plan to keep Finntan as cheerful and healthy as he can be~ ♥ I'm already very attached; he's so lively and animated. My desk is a much better place than it was.

At home my husband and I have two guinea pigs. Besides my pets, I have dolls and fashion hobbies. ♥
milkytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Congrats on the beautiful boy! Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of betta keeping!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
megaredize

He is very pretty. A betta was a good choice for your desk. Since your tank is new you may want to do extra water changes for a bit until your filter cycles. This will ensure your little guy doesn't get too much ammonia in his water. It can take up to a month to cycle but your live plants will definately help. There are a bunch of sticky threads detailing how to and what is a cycle on the fish care part here.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
milkytea

Yes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on the water's levels since the tank is new. I've cycled tanks before with other fish, and I've read all the threads here about cycling. n_n
milkytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Enjoy your stay...

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 
Juicebox

welcome
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote