Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
plasticspaceman

Velvet... or just iridescent?

Hi there. I rescued a couple of bettas from a Craigslist ad about a week ago... and one of them looks pretty rough (he lived life as a decoration in a vase, apparently). I'm pretty sure he's a half-giant veiltail (he's about 3.5 not including fins), and he's pinkish with green/red fins. Just a strange looking little fella.

Anyway, his fins are clumped together and curled on the ends, and he's got red/black specks on his head. It took him four days to eat anything, and even then was not much. I thought he had velvet, because he has a gold shimmer all over his body and fins, and he was darting/flashing some. I am treating his hospital tank with CopperSafe, and he seems better. His fins have opened a teeny bit, but he's still pearly.

How long does it take the gold-dust to go away with Velvet? It is possible he is just pearly/iridescent?

plasticspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

I looks like irid. to me. Some bettas have a natural gold sheen. I think velvet is gold spots. It looks like ich and is treated like ich but instead of white the spots are gold and smaller. I think what you are doing is amazing and right. He may be acting funny because he is adjusting to having clean and healthy water and a diet. You check velvet by shining a flashlight on him.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

Here's a link with pics of velvet

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...on.html#Velvet
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 
plasticspaceman

I did the flashlight test, and there are pretty prominent gold areas in the ribs of his fins. And his whole body shines gold. It seems like too much gold to be velvet. The CopperSafe will treat the ich, too, and he seems a little better today. How long should I keep him quarantined? My plan is to move the two of them and one of my old buddies to a divided 20g long tank. But I don't want whatever disease Jack has to affect his condo neighbors.

The other rescue, Shamus, had some obvious ich on his fins, but he was in much better shape overall, loves to eat, and rallied in a day or so after I got him moved. He even made a bubble nest today. =)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Sometimes they will develop just gold around the gills. He doesn't look like he has any ich/velvet at all. Most people quarantine for two weeks to a month I think. Don't quote me on that. But if the other has ich I am not sure. Ich symptoms can go away are return pretty rapidly because of the growth stages of ich. You could post another thread in the diseases section explaining your situation and what type of tank they are going to go in. Another alternative would be to PM a moderator. Any of them will point you in the right direction. I wish I could help you more but all of my boys are in their own tanks and alone all the time so there wasn't much of a need for a quarantine. I have a sorority, for them if they show no signs of illness for 3-4 weeks I add them. I haven't had any issues with disease in my sorority that way.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 
plasticspaceman

Here's one of Jack from a few days ago, when his gold-ness was more pronounced. I really appreciate the response. =)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

No problem at all. I wouldn't worry too much. Remember that betta's kept in poor conditions and then brought into good conditions will often change color. Keep watching it could get interesting.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

I think it's iridescent; two of my bettas recently got velvet ( they're all better now^-^) and its pretty obvious, it literally looks like gold dust.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #9 
bettaparadise

I got a betta that has the grainy orangish dots on him, which eventually lead me to think velvet (never had a fish get parasites), but it really doesn't look a whole lot like the pictures. It's concentrated more around the bases of his fins, but now that I'm looking at the picture again (third time's a charm, right?) I'm noticing a real fine amount over the rest of him. Mostly. He's got a plain spot on his side. It finally makes sense. Now to just figure out what to treat him with.
bettaparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

irisescence at base of fins is somewhat normal... velve is a fast kiler if not caught and treated on time....
ao is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
coppersafe, gold, sick, velvet