Betta Fish Forum banner

Help, my betta doesn't flare

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  OrangeAugust 
#1 ·
As the titles says, my betta doesn't flare no matter what I do. I've tried the mirror trick. And he has been next to other bettas, of course in seperate bowls. He is as healthy as can be and very happy in his 5 gallon tank. Maybe he's just super chill? Hehe :)

~Adam

#2 ·
Sounds like it. I have had about forty bettas and a few of the males never flared. They were curious but they looked at the mirror like, "man am I pretty" and swam away.

#4 ·
i also have 1 of my bettas that has never flared i ahve not tried the mirror trick yet, and i plan on doing it at some point. but its my "damaged" betta i call him handicapped. he was in a disgusting cup when i bought him and super skinny. he is still skinny and has unclamped, but never flares and seems to not be as strong of a swimmer. I have had him for awhile now so i think he was probably suspposed to be a cull that never happened. but he eats fine and blows bubbles. so hes alright.

#6 ·
Mine didn't flare at a mirror, but then it turned out that he was a female instead. She does flare, but not at reflections.

#7 ·
My guy doesn't flare either, he's healthy and spritely, but nothing seems to qualify as competition in his little betta eyes. He's either really really laid back, or just enough of a narcissist (maybe too young, don't know) XD

#10 ·
i had a betta that never flared. for a whole year, he would barely spread his fins.

finally, i put him in a tank beside a female. she had her tank, he had his. and he flared! sometimes, it just takes something special to make them flare. sometimes, they won't ever flare. nothing wrong with it. :B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.