Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 
Wendyjo

Adding a female to an existing tank

I have a 40g heavily planted community tank that I'd like to add a female to. The tank has been established for about 5 years now, and the inhabitants are as follows:

harlequin rasboras
some other kind of rasboras that are quite shy
bronze and albino cories
one bn pleco
2 male mollies
dwarf neon rainbows

I am very experienced with males bettas and have had a few females in the past. I feel pretty confident that a female would do fine in my community tank but would like a few other opinions on compatibility. Thanks.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Add a few more Rasboras and a unaggressive female Betta might work.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 
Wendyjo

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear on that - there are a total of about 9 rasboras (4 harlequin and 5 of the others) in the tank, 7 cories, 7 of the dwarf rainbows, and 2 of the male mollies. And the BN. Oh and one lone oto.

I'm getting the girl from a member here and I believe she'll be about 12 weeks old and coming out of a sorority of her sisters. I am not worried about her hurting anyone - I just want to make sure no one is gonna go after her.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyjo View Post
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear on that - there are a total of about 9 rasboras (4 harlequin and 5 of the others) in the tank, 7 cories, 7 of the dwarf rainbows, and 2 of the male mollies. And the BN. Oh and one lone oto.

I'm getting the girl from a member here and I believe she'll be about 12 weeks old and coming out of a sorority of her sisters. I am not worried about her hurting anyone - I just want to make sure no one is gonna go after her.
twelve weeks is pretty young...she'll be significantly smaller than just about everyone in the tank. you might want to either choose a fully-sized female, or keep the one you're considering in her own tank until she's a bit bigger. our girl Freija was tiny when we introduced her, and although she's blossomed wonderfully and is perfectly fine now, for a few weeks she was skittish as hell around the other fish. she'd only ever "play" with the two platies who were also juveniles, ran away from everyone else, or would take the opposite route and swim around in a constant state of flaring.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #5 
Wendyjo

OK thanks - she'll be in her own nicely set up quarantine tank for about 4 weeks before I add her to the main tank. And she can stay in there indefinately if need be.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Bettas are ALMOST at full size by 11 weeks old. After that the growth is not signifigant.
IM sure she will be fine, especially after QT.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wait dont Dwarf Rainbows need bigger tanks?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #8 
Wendyjo

Bigger than 40g? Nah, they're fine in there.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...ainbowfish.php http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...re&FORM=HDRSC2 http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Minnows,...ainbowfish.htm sorry but which one is it?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #10 
Wendyjo

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but the first and third links you posted are the same fish and the ones I have. The first link says they need a minimum of 20 gallons and a tank at least 20 inches long, which is consistent with the information I received from their breeder. My tank is a 40 gallon hex and is 20 inches long at it's narrowest point and 30 inches long at it's widest point.