Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #1 
speeddemonbk

Algae looking stuff on fins

It's actually not my betta but my cousin is a teacher and has allowed a student to have a betta at her desk to "not feel homesick" (I roll my eyes at that, the kid is a drama queen lol). In a month 2 bettas have mysteriously died, so she replaced it again with another betta in a totally different tank. Well it's a tiny crown tail. She took it away from the girl because somehow the water got foggy in two days, with my cousin controlling the food there shouldn't have been any logical reason. She was treating it for minor fin rot...well today I looked in her class and the fish has not white fuzz but green on it overnight. I've never seen that. She is treating it with something, I just thought that was really weird and am curious. What is it?
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Is there any way we could see a picture?

What environment does this fish live in?
I am assuming that it is not in the proper environment if the tank fits on a desk.
What size is the tank? is it heated? is it filtered? cycled? What is the water change schedule?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
speeddemonbk

I can't take a picture since it's locked in a school, but it just looks like green algae growing it's on its string part of the fins.

As for the tank, it was cleaned the day before yesterday and I have no idea what my cousin does with it cause I didn't ask. I think it's around 2 gallons. She is treating it, but I was just curious what it was. And the desks aren't real desks, they are a normal table with dividers since it is a private school.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonbk View Post
I can't take a picture since it's locked in a school, but it just looks like green algae growing it's on its string part of the fins.

As for the tank, it was cleaned the day before yesterday and I have no idea what my cousin does with it cause I didn't ask. I think it's around 2 gallons. She is treating it, but I was just curious what it was. And the desks aren't real desks, they are a normal table with dividers since it is a private school.
Do you have any idea if it is heated and what temp the water is?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
speeddemonbk

Not heated, not cycled, it's just a betta in a clean tank. She has 35 bettas (they have about 50 bettas combined at their house) at home and takes the school ones home to clean and none of her others have any problems ever and they live for ages. We're pretty sure the kids did something to it out of jealousy which is why she took it away to see if it did the same for her.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

bettas should have their water at 80-82 degrees for optimum health. you can buy mini heater at your LPS.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 
speeddemonbk

Actually they don't carry them and for the fish they'd fry them...we care for ours differently I guess. To each their own.

I just wanted to know what the algae looking stuff was, not temps and care. I'll just take it as nobody knows, which is ok. Thanks :)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonbk View Post
Actually they don't carry them and for the fish they'd fry them...we care for ours differently I guess. To each their own.

I just wanted to know what the algae looking stuff was, not temps and care. I'll just take it as nobody knows, which is ok. Thanks :)
The reason we are asking about this stuff is that an improper environment and poor care the betta is under often leads to illness, or may not help the fish improve.

Heaters are often needed unless the room temp is about 80 degrees. You can purchase adjustable heaters that have a thermostat, which means it will maintain the temperature it is set to- it will turn off once it reaches the set temp and turn back on when it needs heated again. I ordered mine online, on amazon.com, it's the via aqua adjustable.
This isn't much so an opinion, bettas are tropical fish who originate in hot and humid Thailand. Anything under 75* makes bettas more prone to sickness.

It's hard for us to say what is wrong without seeing it, and without knowing specifics on the situation.

Good luck.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 10-21-2012 at 10:07 PM.