Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #1 
chimes11

Exclamation Best treatment for fin rot?

I just want to know what would be best for my Douglas, I know fin rot takes a long time to get rid of. But a sure fire way would be nice.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Pellets, on Sunday just a little under half a cube of thawed Daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has very bad fin rot. He is a delta double tail, so they look like they went through a wood chipper. His bottom fin has a tear and some rot and his top has some rot. But mainly in his tail is it the worse.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He still eats and is active.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two weeks, but it was hard to notice at first b/c he has a white rim on his tail fin and they ruffle some like a rose tail. But I believe it started on his top fin. Now the rot it all over his fins except his side ones.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I did a tiny bit of aquarium salts for a couple of days. But then did a very low dose of Ali Pimafix for almost a week (I know it said do this for a week then a water change but I'm trying another treatment since I'm worried it might hurt his labyrinth organ now but he hasn't acted any differently when using it) Now I'm trying a low dose of Mardel Maracyn Two have been doing it for 4 days now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I do not know. But he is full grown.
chimes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Is your tank cycled? if so what are your parameters- ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

I agree, NEVER use any -fix medications, as they all contain the tree oil that is known to damage the labyrinth organ.

Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote