Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
tromboneplaya

heater/filter suggestions

I just got a rescue betta today that I have in a 2.5 gallon rectangle glass aquarium. I have a heater in there but it is a non-adjustable one and I would like to get one that I can control. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good adjustable heater for a tank that size? Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a good filter for a tank that small? Or would it be best to just not have a filter?
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 
happypappy

Recently, i have taken all the filters out of my 2.5 and 3 gal tanks. The bettas are doing better!!! I have had problems with the fins getting caught in the intake. I just have to be consistent in my water changes. About heaters -- I do not like to presets and have recently changes to either the Marineland Visi-Therm or the Hydor 24 Watt. The keep the tanks and a steady and perfect set temperature. The Hydor is smaller and the Visa-therm a little long so check the dimensions ---- also, Big Al's recently had good prices on the Hydor.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 
tromboneplaya

I was looking at the hydor one on amazon....I think that's the one I'm going go with! I think I'll just go without a filter for now....especially since my 2.5 gallon houses my new sickly rescue!
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
happypappy

just received this heater for a new tank from Big Al's -- best price I found even with shipping. filter afe not necessary for bettas for small tanks .
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sponge filters are really great for small Betta tanks. Pretty cheap too, especially on Amazon. They're the way to go if you eventually want to cycle your tank.

Yes, you can get a stable cycle on a 2.5g tank. And it's better for your water parameters than twice weekly changes.

Cycling is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote