Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #11 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
hahaha :p It smells like...yeast.

Anyways, shove it in a drawer and forget about it. OOPS I mean that is what I did You should anyways, when you first get your culture. Keep them in a cool, dry area to avoid bacterial growth which includes mold.
Sweet :D
Thanks a bunch!

I emailed them yesterday but they never replied -.-
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #12 
BettaFx

okay now i've had a mw culture going for over a year the same one so yes it's extremely easy to take care of.

the yeast from oatmeal, bread or yeast itself are fed to the worms...not the bread not the oatmeal but the yeast.

-there's a catch. if you feed MW over 1 week for fry...when they grow up expect at least 1 juvie having missing ventral fins one or both.
-microworms are great but to sustain life to having a higher population. I feed microworms for 3 days max. during that time up until 1-1.5 months i feed them brine shrimp.
-I sell cultures for $3 if interested but seeing that it's cold it'll be difficult to ship them aha
BettaFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #13 
EvilVOG

the yeast generally is simply a better food for the microworms, the reason people include it with a starter culture is that it helps jump start the colony. Other than when i first got my culture, i have not added any yeast. Just mix up some fresh food (i use instant mashed potatoes) and refresh it every couple of months. Also keep 2 cultures going they say they can crash without warning but i've yet to see it happen.

I may have to try throwing some yeast in if it really does cut down the smell.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 
tanseattle

Currently I have 4 containers going without even breeding. It is good to have. The problem you have to care for them or they may die out.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #15 
BettaFx

oh to add on...aslong as you do not have too big of air holes...you may have fruit flies or maggots etc infesting if you're not careful =]
BettaFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #16 
marktrc

what is the best conditions to keep it going when you are not breeding fish. so just to keep the culture going. do you keep it in the dark or light? warm or cool. yeast or no? do you add any water?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #17 
tanseattle

Hi Marktc,

I keep them at room temp. I keep 2 outside the normal condition and 2 inside the bathroom sink cabinet.

Every 2 days I wipe-off the mature culture and discard them. I feed them with yeast 2x a week.

Every 2 weeks I start a new culture. When the new culture grow up and look, I discard an older culture. So that I do not have too many at the same time.

I do not add any water.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #18 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFx View Post
oh to add on...aslong as you do not have too big of air holes...you may have fruit flies or maggots etc infesting if you're not careful =]
I stuffed the holes full of filter floss to prevent fruit flies. Very effective.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #19 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

I'm glad I got so many replies! I wouldn't know what I'm doing if it wasn't for you all! O didn't get any yet though but they are $5 a culture
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote