Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Now I'm worried because even most adjustable heaters can't keep the temp within a 2 degree range at all times :(
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Well, any heater that turns off after a certain temperature (if you have it set to 78, it won't heat passed 78) however if you have more problems with the house or the environment such as living in a humid, hot climate VS me in canada... The temperature can rise. Heaters act more to avoid lower temperature fluctuations. I find that many people in places such as Thailand and warmer parts of the world don't even use heaters most of the time - but many people recommend aquarium fans after a certain temperature.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Well, any heater that turns off after a certain temperature (if you have it set to 78, it won't heat passed 78) however if you have more problems with the house or the environment such as living in a humid, hot climate VS me in canada... The temperature can rise. Heaters act more to avoid lower temperature fluctuations. I find that many people in places such as Thailand and warmer parts of the world don't even use heaters most of the time - but many people recommend aquarium fans after a certain temperature.
Would you recommend setting the heater to 80 then?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Depending what the temperature is at now, go down by increments. If above 80, then yes 80 would be a good start and see how the temperature stays especially during the night VS day, lights on (if you have lights on the aquarium) etc. Some heaters can be off only by a smidge - so a thermometer of course is needed
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

So you mean just play around with the heater until it stays 78-80 because some heaters are a little off from what the dial says?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

78-82 is ideal.

breeders will go up to 90.

If your betta isnt having adverse reactions to it... I really wouldn't worry about it.

86 is used to treat ich. most bettas hardly even feel the difference.

In summer my tank went close to 90 for a couple of weeks. my fish couldnt be happier :O

Last edited by ao; 10-21-2012 at 02:41 AM.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Haha I had tanks reaching 95 - I removed my heaters because they weren't needed :) some of my boys weren't pleased but for the most part they don't care. I keep it at 78-80 because if there are any fluctuations (higher) then it won't be "too warm" suddenly.

What kind of preset heater did you have? And yes play around with your heater, because when you know your heater it is so much easier to achieve a temperature
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #18 
Perry the platypus

I guess you don't have to turn the heater off but you can lower the temperature in the heater right?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #19 
cjz96

IMO/E Temps up to 87-90 is not lethal for short periods. It's usually the drastic change in temperature that hurt the fish (80F spiking 90F then back down to 80F.) It depends on the fish. Stay away from mini heaters unless they're from a reputable brand. My one mini heater heated my water to 120F. Hydro THEO mini heater has worked for me and (so far) hasn't over heated my water. I use a heating pad for tanks under a gallon and have ceram wrap on the top.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #20 
LadyVictorian

My male Aquarius prefers 83, anything lower than that other than 82 and he stops being so active. When it's nice and warm he zips around and plays like a madman with his bottle caps and lazer pointers. My female on the other hand likes cooler waters in 78 range.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature