Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
Curlymg

Hey! From AZ.

Hey! I'm new, and new to owning fish/betta fish.

I love animals; each time I get a new animal, I must join a forum that revolves around whatever new animal I got, or something of the sort. Just a bit about myself, (more like my pets lol) I have 5 dogs, and 5 cats. I also have 5 chickens that I raised from chicks. They're my pampered babies & if it wasn't for joining a forum about owning backyardchickens they'd be in danger lol! I learned so much that I think really made a difference in my chicken's lives. I hope this forum will help me out just as much with my new betta. (:

Anyways, now for my story on how I got my betta.. My sister had just moved in to a new apartment, so my family and i went to visit her(well, we went to visit after like 3 months of her living there :b). Her roommate, has a 3 year old little boy who is also amazed with animals. I then noticed that sitting in the corner of a small play desk there was a glass fish bowl with mucky water and a lone fish. I asked the kid's mom if that was his pet and she started laughing saying, "Yeah! His name is Blue Fish #2. Blue Fish #1 died and he wanted another." Then I asked her why is his bowl so dirty? Apparently, the little boy shares his food with the fish!... o_o.. I offered to clean his bowl, and tried to explain to the little boy to not put anything but the fishes food in there... About two months later (which was yesterday) The boy's mother didn't pay her share of rent, and they got kicked out. So there we go again, except to help my sister move out. Only my sister's stuff was left. I go to the restroom in my sister's room (her roommate had her own) and guess what's in there? Blue Fish #2!! I call my sister over, and my sister calls her roommate. My sister had thought that she was playing a prank on her, but what really happened is she did not know what to do with the fish and poured him down HER toilet. She didn't flush it, so somehow Blue Fish #2 swam to my sisters lol.. I go to retrieve a little cup so I can scoop him up, but he was gone! A few minutes later he swam back to view and I quickly scooped him up... On the way home I bought a 1.5g aquarium with a filter and some bubble machine thingy that also has lights, a few decorations and some freeze dried blood worms. This is how I ended up with a betta fish!

So. I have absolutely no experience owning fish! How hard can it be? i've had horses, goats, birds, etc and I did just fine. .. I love to make new friends so that's something I look forward to! Message me if you'd like, i'd love to talk! Sorry if my little story was too long lol, I really thought it was a must-share story. Now i'm off to research about owning a betta!
Curlymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
Curlymg

Oh, and i'll get pictures of him as soon as he's settled into his new home. He's not the most handsome fellow lol.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have two horses, a warmblood, had an american QH and have a pony. I ride bareback, wester, english and everything in-between!

Betta fish need a minimum of 2.5 gallons with a heater.
The water needs to be at a constant 80-82 in order for them to thrive and be happy.
in a tank that small without a filter(recommended) you should be cleaning it 3 X a week.

Dont forget to add water dechlorinator to the water, and feed high protein food made especially for bettas.

Use silk plants, or live aquatic plants, as bettas tears their fins easy on some plastic plants and/or decorations.

Post pics soon!

Sounds like you have a veitail!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 
Curlymg

Thank you!

I'm still wishing for the day I can own a horse. I've only leased- an Anglo-Arabian, A QH & a TB. Only rode in western & bareback. Someday i'll try english. :)

Is it alright if I keep him in the 1.5g for a few weeks? It has a filter, as for decorations i have 3 sea shells, 4 smooth pink clearish rocks and a smooth/soft plant that I'm sure can't cause any injury. :b I also have a thermometer in there that came with the tank, I just set it up yesterday and it reads 78 degrees fahrenheit at the moment. As for water dechlorinator my friend just gave me some so I put a bit of that. When can he go in? :)

I'll save up for a 10g! Also, only reason I won't post pics now is 1.) he's not in his tank yet, 2.) it's night and the lighting is horrible+cruddy ipod touch camera quality.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Enjoy your stay....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlymg View Post
Thank you!

I'm still wishing for the day I can own a horse. I've only leased- an Anglo-Arabian, A QH & a TB. Only rode in western & bareback. Someday i'll try english. :)

Is it alright if I keep him in the 1.5g for a few weeks? It has a filter, as for decorations i have 3 sea shells, 4 smooth pink clearish rocks and a smooth/soft plant that I'm sure can't cause any injury. :b I also have a thermometer in there that came with the tank, I just set it up yesterday and it reads 78 degrees fahrenheit at the moment. As for water dechlorinator my friend just gave me some so I put a bit of that. When can he go in? :)

I'll save up for a 10g! Also, only reason I won't post pics now is 1.) he's not in his tank yet, 2.) it's night and the lighting is horrible+cruddy ipod touch camera quality.

You will love it! Riding is just amazing!

yep, 1.5 for a few weeks should be no prob. Just keep up with the water changes, every-other day :)
I usually wait 5 mins before adding the fish to the newly dechlorinatored water just t make sure the chemical is dispersed :)

Sounds like you are on the right track, good job!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 
Savageajc

Welcome! I'm new here as well, but nice to see another arizonan!
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote