Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #1 
Melde

Help with my New Betta

I just bought him yesterday, so I might just be fussing, but he has a strange looking patch on his side. When you look at him head on, it looks like part of the scales are coming off. They are kind of clear.

Is this something to be worried about? He is eating, and swimming around, and seems quite happy. Otherwise he looks nice as well, his fins and eyes look fine. I am a little paranoid about hurting him in some way.

Anyway, Thanks for any help you can give.
Melde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #2 
Blaxicanlatino

welcome!!!
really can say for sure...need mo info

some fish are bought with..issues. when i bought my first betta, it had tail rot!!!

what color is the area?

water parameters? what kind of water are you using?
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #3 
Melde

well, I am using water from the tap that I treated with Aqua plus. I also use Cycle.
The tank is 1 gal, the water temp is at 21 Cel
I bought him yesterday, and I did notice a little strange spot, but it has changed since then. It almost looks as if he is shedding his skin or something.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #4 
Oldman47

21C is pretty cold for a betta. They are best at about 25 to 27C. I am a little surprised that he swimming around actively at such a cold temperature. Do you have a heater or some way to warm his water a few degrees?
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #5 
Melde

I have the temp up to 25 now. I do not have a heater because the tank is so small, I need to find one I can install in it. If I turn the light on, and put a blanket around the bottom, It helps when my room gets cold apparently. Like I said, it is the first full day I have had him, so he is quite curious about everything.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #6 
fishygal852

Wow!

Congrats on the new betta and I think that if he is swimming and seems happy he is fine but if it stays or its behavior starts to change there is a page full of betta diseases I have it favorited and JUST TYPE IN Betta Fish Diseases in google.com and the first one I think it is and that should help!! GOOD LUCK!
fishygal852 is offline   Reply With Quote