Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #1 
Nyaro

Holes in fins...

I acquired a female betta today who had holes in her fins. I initially thought it was ammonia poisoning, but further research has given me doubts (some sites have said that could be a form of fin rot) so now I'm unsure what to do.

I've kept her in her cup for now though I do have a tank for when she's well and I can move her to it if that's better. I did a full water change with distilled water on her cup and added aquasafe. (I realize now a full water change maybe wasn't the best idea. >.>). She seems perky and not lethargic and doesn't seem to have any other problems, though the area around her gills is red (I can't tell if this is her natural coloring or not though).

Also, my oldest lad has a rip in his tail I just noticed today. It seems very clean and it's roughly in the middle of his tail. My guess is he somehow caught it on something because his tail is very, very long. He's in a tank that's about a gallon and I was thinking maybe he'd do better in a smaller place with softer plants (he doesn't swim as well anymore. His tail drags him down a lot due to its length), but I think he would be upset with a smaller domain. Regardless, I'll be replacing his plants with silk ones when I can, but is there anything I can do in the meantime for the rip in his tail?

Last edited by Nyaro; 10-21-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Nyaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #2 
asukabetta

I think a gallon tank is fine, any smaller and you will be forced to do 2-3 day water changes. A gallon is a bear min for a betta anyways.

Softer plants part I do agree, it doesn't look like fin rot but fin damage.

Though to be on the safe side try som aq salt for 10 days to prevent any signs of fin rot.

Keep the water clean and warm and she will recover on her own ^_^ But do keep an eye on signs of fin rot :)

Pull out whatever ornaments can rip a silk or thin stocking.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #3 
Nyaro

I'll go get softer plants and aquarium salt tomorrow. ^^
Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth

Do you add any vitamin/nutrient boosters to your distilled water? Generally it's better to use tap water with water conditioner as distilled water is pretty much devoid of anything which is bad for fish because they need certain nutrients available in their tank water.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 
Nyaro

I don't, and I just read about that yesterday. I'll be changing back to tap water for all of my bettas today when I do the full water changes. I haven't been using distilled water for them for very long, so hopefully that won't have affected them too much.

Thanks, you guys. ^^