Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 
Joe1125

Exclamation How to cure a horrible fin rot

OK, so I was cleaning out my tank and had my Betta in this little bowl. So when i put the conditioner in the tank and went to watch TV to wait for the conditioner to soak in, and i have good news and bad news. the first bad news is that he must of jumped out of his bowl, because he was laying on the floor. the only good news is... he's alive!!! the second bad news is... he has fin rot from being on the floor. I have used this one medication called bettafix, but it isn't working. i need an answer immediately!!
Joe1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do not think it is fin rot sounds like the fins drying up if it is finrot it was bad water so aquarium salt, clean water, and medicine.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 
shellieca

How long ago did it happen? When you say it's not working what do you mean, is it getting worse or just not improving? What size tank? Filtered? Heated? For fin rot I use lots of water changes. But is it fin rot or just damaged from the fall? It takes a while for the fins to grow back sometimes but you shouldn't see it getting any worse. Some people will add Aq salt, premixed, to the tank. Is he acting normal, eating, swimming around? Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Great questions shellieca and I also agree with just damage-clean/dechlorinated water and good nutrition is the best treatment. Often over treatment can be worse than no treatment at all.
Patience is sometime needed too....fin don't repair overnight-it can take weeks to months in some cases-it depends on the degree of damage, secondary infection, overall health, husbandry, nutrition, genetic, age....etc....Lots of different factors at play....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 
rubinthebetta

Chocolatebetta is correct.....doesn't sound like fin rot, just damage from being out of the tank. Good luck!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He may be fine so IAL and aquarium salt will help with repair and avoid infections he is vulnerable to so do more water changes to be safe.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
lelei

If you can get some Stress coat, it is great for freyed, ripped, or dry fins, I have used it without salt, and saw healing, that and clean warm water, you should see some growth in a few days:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But still use Aqurium salt.