Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
ToeBiter

Exploded 55 gallon tank-New tank ideas?

So a week or so ago I went to the store and came back to an exploded 55 long tank. It was as close to level as we were going to get it and we aren't really positive what happened except that the seems suck and that the person who sold it to me said it should still be water bearing (lies I say!). Upon further inspection, it turns out that it may have been a terrarium and not an aquarium... grrrrr.... I know know to inspect them better- even if it is only $20.

Back to the point though. My roomie was able to save all of the 50+ Malawi cichlids, the 2 rescue common plecos, and the crayfish. YAY! Creat, I WUVS U!
they then lived in a giant bucket with an aerator. Of those that survived a week of that, they have now been separated into my favorites that I'm keeping in a 35 gallon and the rest are going to the pet store that I work at.

My problem now is that I have an empty area that I just HAVE TO FILL! We are debating between a couple ideas and I want opinions/ any other ideas floating out there. We already have:
  • 75 gallon planted show tank w/ gourami, ropefish, crayfish, tiretrack eel, female betas, bristlenose pair
  • 35 gallon with common pleco, and 15/20 ish malawi cichlids
  • 35 gallon with barbs, huge bircher, and my other gourami
  • 10 gallon green tank (purpose is for my baby veno.s and to grow hair algae/java moss for beta spawns) w/ guppies, 3m.o. Venestus babies x2, platties
  • a room dedicated to beta breeding
  • and then the other pets (dogs, chickens, finches, lizard, etc.)

We are looking to do something new and these were our ideas:
  • native tank
  • bare bottom with something epic (like a wolf fish or Arrowana)
  • freshwater stingray (we want to name him guber)

Ideas???

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-20-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: foul language
ToeBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is the bug and if you are building a terrium red devil crabs are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

Hmm....does the space have to be filled with just 1 tank? Because if you can fit a 75 gallon in the space, you could also do something like both types of 35 gallon tanks. That way you can have different types of community tanks instead of choosing just one idea.

I'm also more basied towards Native tanks than bare tanks. I'm going to start a naturally planted 20 gallon long tank in the future that is going to be all drift wood, live plants, and hidy holes. So I vote for a native tank. XD

Oh, I would take betta breeding off the list unless you know your pet store wants you to supply them with betta fish. If you have no buyers you'll be up to your neck in fry with no future homes. DX
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also never breed pet store Betta they are in low demend and are low quality.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 
ToeBiter

We have a mix of beta from US breeders and some from Tailand because we breed show beta that we sell both to other breeders and then some to the pet store we work at. All the breeding stock are show quality crowntails and halfmoons. Izi/Creat does the halfmoons and is currently starting a line of mustard gas ones. The whole beta breeding gig is fairly establish and been going on for years.

If we did a native tank, there still wouldn't be much in the way of plants as Idaho's waterways basically have algae and rocks. maybe self sufficient though with a sump? It would be a LOT of work, but I'm going to school for degrees in Wildlife and Fisheries for nothing to play with rubber duckies.

As for the idea about doing 2 of the 35 gallon tanks... I want to stick to a footprint the size of the 55 long or 75 regular since I already have the stand. It's more cost effective to just replace the tank itself rather than the whole unit or multiply it into more units.

To answer the question about the bug... this is Belastoma indicum, AKA. a Toe Biter or Giant Water Bug. They are mean little buggers with a really painful bite. When they bite, they inject a serum that basically dissolves the tissues it comes into contact with (that's how it hunts). They live in warm water streams like where I'm from in Arizona and if you ever step in a "nest" of them as I have you will definitely know as it leaves these welt looking things and really hurts. The biggest one I've ever seen (one of the ones I had as a pet) got about 3.5 inches long.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Cool and its Thialand and Betta.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #7 
ToeBiter

lol... thanks. spelling isn't my strongest point and it doesn't help that I'm typing 1 handed in a lab. I always do that when searching betta online as well and get really confused when a bunch of game betas pop up... I do it every time and have to redo my search.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #8 
Creat

I heard my name >.> .... lol learn to spell. And its true I am the one who got her into breeding dont worry if I do breed pet store betta they have good form and I know what to look for however most of the betta I have now are imports. In any case I like the crab idea... I am in love with the crayfish thats in one of the tanks crabs might be fun :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #9 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeBiter View Post
We have a mix of beta from US breeders and some from Tailand because we breed show beta that we sell both to other breeders and then some to the pet store we work at. All the breeding stock are show quality crowntails and halfmoons. Izi/Creat does the halfmoons and is currently starting a line of mustard gas ones. The whole beta breeding gig is fairly establish and been going on for years.
Ok. I thought you were only relying on the pet store to buy your bettas. If you're already established as a breeder and have other ways to handle rehoming fry besides a pet store, then ignore my warning. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote