Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Thin fish

My Petco King is very thin. He has been thin since recovering from jumping the divider and getting his fishy butt kicked a few months ago. He has a decent appetite and has been de-wormed. He's a bit lethargic also. No idea on his age as I got him from Petco. Any ideas?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sounds like low temp to me or not being fed enough.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

I agree with Choclate plus would ask about tank size & water change schedule/amount.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

His water parameters are correct. He's in an 82 degree 10g tank. His tankmate is a giant and is thriving and active. He gets 10 pellets 2x daily and a few blood worms 1x daily like all the other big fish. I have treated him for worms and appears OK outwardly besides being thin and lethargic.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do not give worms daily and sounds like he is gettiing to much food and fine is not a water parameter no info yet.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

So he's in a divided 10g? If divided, is he on the filter side? When you tested the water did you take the water from his side? I'm just wondering if there isn't good enough water flow to his side for some reason causing some of the problem. You say he's eating so as for being thin, I'd have to say some kind of internal parasite. Do you by chance have a before & after pic you can post? I'd like to see if possible how much difference there is in his weight.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

I agree ^
Betta stomachs are only the size of their eyes and ten pellets seem a little too much. Bloodworms should be fed once a week and as a treat not a staple. :)
Do you have a picture?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL and parasite food should help but what is temp?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

Lol, you are right. Fine isn't a water parameter but I do read the stickies and I do make sure the parameters and temperature are correct before asking for advice but since you ask, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are around 20, pH is 7.8, temp is 82 as stated (I swear it's soooo much easier to keep my water right with the sand substrate!!). They get a weekly vacuum which may remove around 10% of the water and a 50% change every two weeks. He gets a bloodworm or two if other fish are being conditioned just so I can use up the cube. Some weeks he gets them daily some weeks not at all. 10 Hikari pellets is actually fairly close to the size of his eye-probably just a pellet or two bigger. They are smaller pellets than BettaPro. Oh, no food on Sundays either just because I think it helps clean my piggies out. I forgot that.
I do test the water from his side but I also run the filter wide open-I can see particles drifting towards the filter side whenever I vacuum. It's also rated for a bigger tank. I'm fairly convinced the tank circulates well enough.

I have done the API general cure 2x now in the hospital tank but I have not fed him treated food. I'll pop in and see if the LFS carries the treated food. I think it has to be some sort of internal parasite not responding to just treating the water. I don't have any IAL. I had been waiting for the IBC store to open back up. Now that it's back open I'll get some ordered. I could boil up some dried oak leaves for him in the meantime.

I had completely forgot there even was treated food available. I bet that's what I need. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

More water changes and your welcome.