Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 
AquaKai

New Betta Help!

Tehe, I've been on a little betta spree the past two days. One adult veiltail male yesterday and a baby betta today...

So, this is my first "baby" betta... I was at PetCo today and he was the last one (ok there were two on the shelf and the other one was dead...) that was there. The person said that they were going to have to get rid of him soon because they had a new shipment in or something. I think that getting rid of a fish would be against policy but whatever. I snatched the little guy up and promptly bought him. Thankfully I have an old tank that I can use (it still needs a little TLC). I currently have the little dude/tte acclimating in the tank, but I have some questions.

1. What should I feed him/her? I've read many different things but I want to know what you think is best. I have frozen blood worms, Hiakari Betta Pellets, Omega One Flakes/Shrimp Pellets, and Brine Shrimp Eggs (can make them brine shrimp). Which one should I do? I know live and frozen foods are the best, but brine shrimp don't have the best nutritional value and are the brine shrimp too big? He's about 1" or so.

2. Will a 2.5g be ok for him? Without a filter (for now)? That's what I'm working with right now and I just want to make sure that it's okay. I have it heated to 80F, but I feel bad about it not being filtered. I will do PWC every other day or so, but is that okay for him/her?

3. Is there much of a difference between adult betta care and baby betta care? I know that there is some with the food, obviously smaller body=smaller food, but is there any thing else?

Any other tips or hints that would be good to know? I really want him to be a happy little betta!

Thanks! And here are some pictures (bad pictures) of him/her!

Last edited by AquaKai; 10-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

2.5 will work brineshrimp weekly tons of different pellet brands help remeber to get a filter.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 
AquaKai

Thank you ChoclateBetta! I'll be sure to start the brine shrimp tonight, and the filter is one my to-get list! Hopefully I'll be able to get him/her a bigger tank soon too!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can keep him there forever but bigger is better less water changes safier and Bettas are more active.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

I just bought a baby last week and he/she is about your little ones size. 80 is good could go alil warmer if you watned, thats what I have heard right now I feed my baby hikari tropical micro pellets as well as frozen brine shrimp when I had my last sick baby I fed him/her hikari first bites fry food which is like a powder and that could work if not eating bigger food. crushed pellets for adults is fine too and if the blood worms are cut up and made smaller they will work to. I know when my other baby wasnt eating i went to the local fish shop here in town to get brine shrimp eggs and he advised me not to because even the tiniest scoop makes tones of them and basically to feed one tiny betta would be a huge waste of them, thats what I was told. So far my sammy has been really good eats the micro pellets well as well as the brine shrimp. Going to try blood worms tonight and I can let you know how that goes. As far as crushed pellets doesnt really eat them preferes the other pellets. hikari has a bunch of fillers atleast for the micro pellets but there is 42% protein so its not totally bad. Make sure that the water is super clean to aid in growth as well, the 2.5 should be fine. I currently am using a 1/2 gallon with 80% daily water changes but even as soon as tonight a 1 gallon and then possibly a 3 or 5. Also its recommended more than 2 feedings a day I usually feed about 4 micro pellets 4 times a day and my tank is about 85 degrees which seems good for my baby. Hopefully that helps and good luck!
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLynn View Post
I just bought a baby last week and he/she is about your little ones size. 80 is good could go alil warmer if you wanted, that's what I have heard right now I feed my baby hikari tropical micro pellets as well as frozen brine shrimp when I had my last sick baby I fed him/her hikari first bites fry food which is like a powder and that could work if not eating bigger food. crushed pellets for adults is fine too and if the blood worms are cut up and made smaller they will work to. I know when my other baby wasn't eating i went to the local fish shop here in town to get brine shrimp eggs and he advised me not to because even the tiniest scoop makes tones of them and basically to feed one tiny betta would be a huge waste of them, thats what I was told. So far my sammy has been really good eats the micro pellets well as well as the brine shrimp. Going to try blood worms tonight and I can let you know how that goes. As far as crushed pellets doesn't really eat them prefers the other pellets. hikari has a bunch of fillers at least for the micro pellets but there is 42% protein so its not totally bad. Make sure that the water is super clean to aid in growth as well, the 2.5 should be fine. I currently am using a 1/2 gallon with 80% daily water changes but even as soon as tonight a 1 gallon and then possibly a 3 or 5. Also its recommended more than 2 feedings a day I usually feed about 4 micro pellets 4 times a day and my tank is about 85 degrees which seems good for my baby. Hopefully that helps and good luck!
Oh, my, goodness! Thank you so much! I am trying to make the water go up to 80 at the moment, but the heater and I are having arguments about how 76F is not 80F, but hopefully I'll be able to get it up to 80F+ I'd like to get around 82-83F. I gave him/her some crushed up pellets and s/he ate one crushed up one, but I'll try out some other things to see what works the best. I'll keep the water nice and clear, hopefully they'll have a nice small filter that I can use at the store! I'll feed him/her at least one more time tonight before I go to bed. Thank you sooooo soooo soooo much for all of your information and help!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

No problem! I went uber betta mom with this little guy after my last baby didnt make it about a week. I have noticed the babies at petco can get really skinny and have major ammonia burns so as long as there are no signs of illness, you have clean water and they are eating you should be golden. If you are trying frozen brine shrimp tonight I dont see an issue I had no problem just make sure to pick out small ones. Good Luck!
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

2.5 is miniumum and 78-82F is the ideal Temp and my Sig link has Betta info.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

Tags
baby, baby betta, betta, new betta, new tank