Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 
thrsanne

Exclamation I know this is probably a really silly filter question..

but this is the first time I'm actually setting up a tank on my own. (With filter and all). My dad usually does it, but he has no clue I bought a new tank for my beta's 1 year birthday.. and also to accommodate my college dorm room. Anyway, I will admit that I am by no means an expert on Fish-Tank-SetUp, and would gladly be open to any help I can get with my set up process!

I'm having trouble with setting up the filter. I bought a simple tank that came with the basic needs for my beta, and I thought it'd be easy to set up, but as paranoid as I am, I keep second guessing how well I installed the filter. Yes, it was already set up in the back portion of the tank, but when I filled it up with water, it filled back there too, of course, but as I'm paranoid of hazards, is it wrong for the cord to be submerged in water? Obviously the cord feeds out the back of the tank, but just the beginning of it was submerged in water. The instructions the tank came with did me no good, and I'm just sitting here trying to find any old posts with this silly question. Don't hate me guys! You can laugh at me though. XD But I guess it's better to ask than to mess up. Thank you all.. if this is on the wrong board, please tell me!
thrsanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What brand of filter/tank is it? Can you post a pic of the tank & filter, how you set it up? All of my filters are hang on back (HOB) & none of the cord is in the water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

gonna take a guess that this is the tank you got:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...riums/20693147
either that or the 5gal of the same model, and yes, the pump and cord are meant to be submerged.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #4 
inuudo

I had a tank (Fluval View) with the filter motor submerged and a cord running out of the back, so I know it can be okay, but a picture would help.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 
thrsanne

Alright wasn't sure I could double post, but since I got some feedback (thanks guys!) uh, the tank I got was an Aqueon evolve2 tank, and wow I totally just read that it is submersible, but it's totes not going to start a hazard on me, will it? XD Thanks all!
thrsanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrsanne View Post
Alright wasn't sure I could double post, but since I got some feedback (thanks guys!) uh, the tank I got was an Aqueon evolve2 tank, and wow I totally just read that it is submersible, but it's totes not going to start a hazard on me, will it? XD Thanks all!
it's a pretty sure bet that if they sell it to be submersible, it's water safe. the manufacturers might not care much about your fish (with their laughable "instructions") but they're DEFINITELY gonna play it safe when it comes to risks to human beings with the power to file lawsuits.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, install, installation, question