Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 
carolineelisabeth

Exclamation RANT: Bowl life

UGH. So my friend has a BEAUTIFUL betta. Like, Ive never seen such a pretty boy. Greens, reds, purples, blues, all over his fins. Too bad, because his fins are shriveled... He lives in a .25 gallon bowl. Its like the capacity of a large soup bowl, maybe. They still haven't gotten him food, its been about a week since they ran out, and his bowl is nasty dirty. Cloudy water. I asked them if they wanted to give him to me, but they said its their fish and they love it. I feel as if if you loved him, he would be in a big bowl with food and clean water...
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #2 
harleraven

Oh man, I hate when people say they love an animal and use that as an excuse to not give it to someone who can actually take care of it. It'll be REAL great when it dies. -.-
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Have you told them about your concerns for the fish? Maybe they don't knwo what they are doing is bad.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 
carolineelisabeth

oops, i meant to say big tank, not big bowl!

And yes, I have. I told them all about how he needs more space to live, and a healthier diet. I am going to give her a spare tank of mine, but its only a little bigger (2 gallons), and a small filter for him. I have some food for them too. I just wish that some people wouldnt get a fish if they can't/wont take care of them the way they deserve.
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You are a true saint remember the heater also I used to keep carter in a bowl not anymore.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #6 
lelei

I Had to do the same thing for a friend of mine, I showed her pix, and explained that proper care means everything, she asked me how my fishy's looked so good, and how they grow and swim so much..I told her plain strait..MORE ROOM, and Good food, and a regular water changing schedule..and now she is proud to say she has 2 bettas in 2- 3 gallon tanks, and takes much better care of them, and would never have beleived that it was needed, cuz the Petstore told her differently..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

I am going through the same thing with my step sister. She has a betta in a .5 gallon bowl in the bastment where room temp is almost always 65 degrees constant and in winter gets to 50 bellow. I don't think he will survive the winter to be honest.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #8 
stephanier

I put my first betta in a 1/2 gallon "tank" and it died in 5 days . I then bought a 2.5 gallon tank and had another betta who lived for 3 months (he got sick and, despite my efforts, he died from whatever he had). I just a new betta who seems very healthy . I keep learning more and more about how to better care for them. When I have the experience and the space, I'd like to have a bigger, divided tank
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I am going through the same thing with my step sister. She has a betta in a .5 gallon bowl in the bastment where room temp is almost always 65 degrees constant and in winter gets to 50 bellow. I don't think he will survive the winter to be honest.
I would have bought it from her and either kept or adopted it out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

She refuses to give it up because it's HER fish and besides she said if it dies she can just buy a new one. I said if it dies it died because of her poor care and not to get another. She's just one of those people and at that age.