Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would print out piles of info and leave it in her mailbox or call our arch enemy PeTA or complain.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Don't feel bad about giving her a 2g tank for that boy, that is going to feel like a mansion for him after being in that 0.25g bowl! There are still many here who feel a 2g is acceptable :) Just make sure it's heated, as I am SURE she's not going to run out and buy a heater for it lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

I'm almost tempted to buy my stepsis a new bowl and heater just so her fish can have a better home. Maybe a 2.5, they can be pretty cheap and easy to heat.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Most people who keep bettas in bowls do not know they are curious,active, and colorful.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

I have actually convinced others to upgrade to a larger tank, and they were amazed at the difference in their fish. They do bloom when it larger spaces!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah carter just stayed on the surface of his bowl now carter is super active and curious/aggressive I could divide it but the 10 gallon looks great.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #17 
Friendlyfishies

Ive been there too...some family members have them and I try and help them out, they roll their eyes and shrug it off, its sad :(
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas are so abused.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #19 
carolineelisabeth

I will tell you this, when I first got my Betta, I didnt intend to. I wanted to get a guinea pig, but my boyfriend said we just did not have the space for a guinea pig as they also need large homes (most of the cages in pet stores arent big enough for them!) He convinced me to get a fish, as he knew they didn't require GIANT homes like a guinea. I should have done my research, but I didn't. I just got Chops. The pet store said that one- gold fish and bettas can live together, and that they require minimal effort. They tried to talk me into the same 'bowl' my friend has (a little 'decorative' office bowl with no room whatsoever) because it was more expensive. But after I said no to that, they said they only need a bowl. Again, being inexperienced, I got the bowl, gravel, and food they said that they require. After setting everything up, I did my research for several weeks and found out that bowls are NOT GOOD for bettas and even though they aren't giant fish, they need tanks, heat, food, filters, all the works. I have Chops in a 10 gallon, Claudia in a 20, and Felix is in a 2 gallon until I can get a bigger one this weekend.

So, yes, beginners make mistakes, but if someone who knows better tells you what you can do to prolong their lives, then they should listen.

Also, my crowntail I just got definitely has fin rot :/ Nothing I do is fixing it...
carolineelisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

We went out and got my boyfriend's sister's fish a 1.5 which was a big upgrade from a 0.5... she took it lol. I also gave her proper food. If advice is not the best weapon, pull out the big guns! We had to for her. "You should really get a bigger tank." reply: "it takes up too much room." Well we went out on purpose and got her one anyways, and she realized it was NOT too big.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote