Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
Leonidas0227

Case of Fin Rot

Stumbled across this forum, and since my betta fish is sick with a case of fin rot, I thought to consult some experts on anything else I may need to do.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5G
What temperature is your tank? Usually about room temperature, 28 degrees C
Does your tank have a filter? Usually yes, but while he's sick I've taken it out to prevent the medicine from being filtered out
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Besides the filter? No
Is your tank heated? Only by the lamp and ambient room temperature
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta pellet food, and Nutrafin Basix Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, typically in the mornings.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta water conditioner, Betta Enviroclean

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: 7.6
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail fin has decreased in size, appears ragged, common symptoms of fin rot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, doesn't show excitement for food or upon seeing me, stays at the bottom of his tank, only swimming to surface for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Middle of last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with Betta Fix and Aquarium Salts
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 2 months, and I estimate he was about 5 months old when I got him, so 7 months.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I don't want to lose my new friend as my girlfriend and I have become quite attached to the little guy.
Leonidas0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off rapid temp changes probably did it so get a heater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #3 
Leonidas0227

Don't really have a need for one, our apartment stays pretty warm even in the winter so the tank water should as well. Also, I can't seem to find a heater that's small enough for my 2.5 Gallon tank.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.google.com/search?q=2.5+g...&client=safari
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 
Leonidas0227

I don't live in the U.S. Chocolate, but thanks for trying to help. We don't have any stores called Big Al's, or at least I don't think we do.

Besides, when I came home from work today I found the lamp on top was doing an adequate job of keeping my small tank nice and warm, it was even a little too warm when I came home!!

Last edited by Leonidas0227; 10-22-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

28 C is a good temp (82 F). But if your room temperature fluctuates at all, that's not good, either. Heaters are good for keeping the temperature steady even if it's not always needed for warmth all the time.
I'm not sure what could have caused the fin rot. I just noticed a few days ago that my two males have it, and I don't know why because their water temp is good and one of them is even in a filtered tank.
Bettafix is not the greatest stuff to use. It's a diluted version of Melafix, which is dangerous to bettas because it can damage the labyrinth organ- the organ they use to breathe air. Some people have used it without a problem, but there are enough people who have had problems with it that people usually advise against it.
I'm not sure what other meds you can use, but I hear that having a warm and steady water temp, clean water (changing the water more often), aquarium salt, and Stress Coat can really work well getting rid of fin rot. That's what I'm doing for my guys right now. You're not supposed to use the salt for more than 10 days, though, so if he's still having a problem then, you might have to try to use medication.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 
Leonidas0227

Thanks Orange, I'm using Bettafix right now, and he seems to be responding positively to it. I only used a half teaspoon of Aquarium salt on sunday, and when a week passes I'll do a full water change to get rid of it. His fin has stopped decaying, and I'm hoping this will clear it up.

I typically dose him about 9 drops each day, the recommended dosage for a tank my size of 1.5 gallons, usually first thing in the morning when I wake up. He hasn't been eating, since he's sick I've read that that isn't uncommon so I'm not too worried about it. He's still swimming up for air every now and then, and his gills are still functioning well, so I don't think the Bettafix is having any negative results. I'm hoping he recovers... my girlfriend and I are very attached to our little Rocky.

Last edited by Leonidas0227; 10-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.