Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Should I cycle my tank?

I am moving my female betta to a 5 gallon tank soon. (She's in a 1.5 now but it's way too small.) I'm worried that it will be hard to cycle a 5 gallon tank since it's still pretty small. Also, the cycle would be lost after every filter change. I have some ammo chips in her 1 gallon to keep the ammonia down and they work great. The tank has been at 0 ammonia since I added them and I recharge them every 5 days. The ammo chips are also very cheap since I just reuse them over and over.
I don't see any use in cycling the 5 gallon. It would be hard to maintain and the cycle could die after every filter change. What are the benefits of cycling the 5 gallon? Is there any reason why cycling might be better than ammo chips?
Also, I have a 20 gallon which I'm going to cycle, but now I'm just thinking about ammo chips since it's faster. Should I cycle to 20 since it's bigger?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

All my betta tanks, even my 2,5g's, are cycled. I don't really find it any more difficult to keep the tanks cycled than I do my larger tank. But why change out the cartridge? Can't you just rinse it out instead? I use small internal filter in my tanks - they use sponge inserts - so I never have to replace them (what a waste of money that is!). Doing a small water change each week is much easier than dealing with the large water changes needed in an uncycled tank. How often are you doing water changes now, and how much? Even with ammo chips you still need to do water changes to have a healthy tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #3 
Leopardfire

In the 1.5 gallon, I do 55% water changes weekly. When I get the 5 gallon, I will do 30-40% changes. I heard that you have to replace filters with carbon monthly because they will start to leak things into the water when they get old. Do your filters not have carbon in them?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #4 
Wendyjo

No, carbon is not needed unless you are removing meds.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

The filters I get are cartridges and I'm pretty sure they come with carbon already in them so I don't think I could take it out.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

See if this sticky will help answer your questions, if not...just ask what you don't understand....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

As for the carbon-its not needed-but if you want to use it-It will need to be changed per package direction since it can't be recharged and is short lived. Using carbon is more of a personal choice. You can also leave it once it is used up or you can cut a slit in the sponge part of the cartridge an dump it out and keep reusing the cartridge until its falling apart. Give it a good rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water a couple of time a month to keep it free of the big pieces of gunk to maintain good water flow....This way you can maintain that good colony of beneficial bacteria.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo chips, benefits, cycle, small tank