Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #1 
freshwaterfishies

Exclamation Betta eating problem

So i recently bought a betta but he wont eat the betta pellets i bought for him, he just taste the pellets then spits them back out. How do i get him to eat his food.
freshwaterfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

We need more info.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 
freshwaterfishies

What more do i need to tell you? I've tried getting his attention the putting the food directly above and in front of him. He just taste it and then spits the food back out.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 
scootabout

My buddy used to do this too. It took a couple weeks but he eats them now like a champ.
It could be that they're too hard for him to eat. You could try breaking them - I know they're small and it's hard to do - :< or you could try soaking it in a bit of tank water before you give it to him.
scootabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 
sainthogan

They could be too big. Or your fish could be like mine and can't stand pellets. I've tried everything including different pellets and only feeding her pellets for a week and she still won't eat them. I normally feed her a high protein flake which also happens to be very expensive, but unfortunately, they fell on the floor, so now I have to feed her cheap flakes until I can get the expensive ones again.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 
Onlyonagoodday

Try varying the diet, with bloodworms or brine shrimp. Pre soaking and breaking into smaller pieces are also good ideas
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #7 
lelei

It really depends on the brand of pellets, this is a common problem, and the best ones are the Omega one, and the hakari, for the size, they are tiny..micro tiny..and bettas prefer those over the other ones, such as Warrdly, also New Life spectrum are best for nutritional value..hope you can get one of those..bettas love em:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #8 
freshwaterfishies

Thanks guys i will try it all.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

There's a ton of reasons actually. The brand is one of them... But it's usually the water temperature, the parameters, or just a very new Betta as you said earlier. What's the temperature? How much water do you take out and when? He might just be adjusting but just to be sure! (;
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #10 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterfishies View Post
What more do i need to tell you? I've tried getting his attention the putting the food directly above and in front of him. He just taste it and then spits the food back out.
I've had the same problem with bettas in the past. In fact, I just bought three female bettas....two of them are taking pellets just fine but one flat out refuses! She just comes up and stares, when she realizes it's a pellet she turns and swims away.

They can be picky eaters. But I'm certain they will come around to eating it later b/c I know they won't just starve themselves to death!
Option is offline   Reply With Quote