Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #1 
Mister Sparkle

New Keeper Syndrome

There's a well-known, yet little understood phenomenon that overtakes newbies in various areas of animal husbandry. When given some advice, geared for first-time keepers to facilitate easy success in their new endeavor, they come to believe that certain guidelines were actually well-defined and irreproachable "rules", and take it upon themselves to judge every shop, keeper, or breeder they come into contact with based on these perceived "rules".

Luckily, over time, most will get over it and learn (through research and experience) that the guidelines handed to them were very general methods for preventing their avarice from leading to certain failure. Yet, in the meantime, they seem to fall into this trap with little understanding of how it makes them appear...

The new dog owner is aghast when a white highland terrier is pulled out from a vermin's hole by its tail (it's designed for it!).

The new snake keeper becomes indignant when seeing a rack of "sweater/blanket boxes" used to house boas/pythons/corn snakes (vertical space is useless to a snake, who prefers horizontal space and actually finds comfort in small areas...hence their habit of sleeping in gopher holes and termite mounds).

New fishkeepers are ready to call the ASPCA when they see 1/2-gallon containers used (that's all a betta needs).

Unfortunately, as I've been involved in all three of the above examples of animal keeping for quite some time, I know this "syndrome" all too well.

For many of us, the response is pretty basic.

But sometimes, it's downright offensive! If what you learned in the first 6 months of animal husbandry was all there is to know, then the people that the newcomer loves to judge smugly wouldn't still be interested after decades of passionate involvement. When that newcomer bores and moves on to something new, the rest of us will still be plugging away with our hearts and minds content in the knowledge that we're still getting better and better at this gig, chuckling to each other as the new batch of fresh keepers comes by with the "holier than thou" arrogance of one who finally kept their animal alive for more than a month.

But, maybe...just MAYBE, they'll learn! 8)
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #2 
Kittles

Last edited by Kittles; 04-24-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #3 
brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
I am 12 and wut is this?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #4 
TianTian

That would be a .gif file demonstrating an emotion in response to the first post.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 
TeenyTinyTofu

Is that Lady GaGa wearing a Michael Jackson glove? LOL!
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #6 
xxabc

I agree with you Mister Sparkles (although you know where I stand with 1/2 gallons, don't you? ;) )

But what, did you run across a batch of deadly "new fishkeepers"? Hahaha goodness.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #7 
xxabc

Brancasterr, no offense meant at all, but you are 12 and you haven't heard of Lady Gaga?

THERE"S HOPE YET! Glad to know she hasn't taken over the world, just yet.

Lady Gaga is a singer. I'm not sure what else to say about her. She has the weirdest (or apparently, "coolest") fashion sense, her songs are strange ... turn on the radio, and the chances of her being on it is about 1/2. Hahaha. I don't know what that is from though.

Also, if you google her pictures, prepare yourself. There might be some skin.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #8 
Kittles

Lol, abc, he was trolling.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #9 
xxabc

What?

(I know what trolling is)
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #10 
brancasterr

Haha, I'm not 12 and I do know who lady gaga is. I just figured kittles would appreciate the follow up comment. Troll successful? Meh.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote