Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 
prosthetik

Unhappy So sad I couldnt rescue a sick Betta today!

I went to one of my local pet stores today & like routine, I went to look at the Betta's they have for sale. There was one poor guy who was floating vertical at the top of the water & he was covered with white fuzzy stuff all over.
I wanted to take him home so bad but if he gets better I have nowhere to put him other than the little half gallon tank I have which I use when my 3 boys are having their tanks cleaned.

I know he isnt going to get purchased by anyone & he will die at the store [I noticed a bottle of BettaFix behind their little glass boxes]

Has anyone else been unable to rescue one they have seen at a store? It's really getting to me.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #2 
Rockandrollgirl09

Yes I have too been unable to rescue one. I remenber one time I went into the store and of course I had to stop at the bettas and see which ones they had. I fell in love with this betta. I could tell that he had fin rot and some other issues and on top of that he was older than the rest. I desperately did not want him to have to die in such a little place. Unfortunately I had no place to put him. I already had 5 bettas all rescues. It sickens me to think that people could abuse these animals and not have any regard for them. Abusing them is just like abusing a dog.
Rockandrollgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 
prosthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockandrollgirl09 View Post
It sickens me to think that people could abuse these animals and not have any regard for them. Abusing them is just like abusing a dog.
Exactly! & this store is a pretty big chain pet store across Australia so I would of thought if the Betta was sick they would remove it for do something to make it healthy enough to sell [considering most people that buy Bettas here seem to be kids].
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

omg is it pets paradise? NEVER buy from them... you will do more harm than good buying a fish. their treatment of live animals is beyond horrendous.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #5 
prosthetik

No, a place called Pet Barn [Im in Australia lol]
I've seen SO many horror stories on here about Walmart & other places treating their fish poorly.
Usually this place I go to is pretty good, I got my last Betta from there & he is healthy, big & bright. I just hope theyre not starting to forget about them. :(
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Im aussie too :O I'm surprised you've never heard of pets paradise...
Some aussies are willing to listen still... I gave my local pets paradise employee at Hornsby a good talk about NOT putting three females together in a 1 liter tank. also told her about sororities. next time I came back, 3 happy females in their large planted tank! yippee!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #7 
prosthetik

Nah I live in Dubbo, theres only Pet Barn, & two locally owned stores, Bobs Pets & Furneys.
Im going to Newcastle in a few weeks & plan to go looking there for aquarium ornaments but Im hoping so much that I DONT see a Betta that I fall in love with because it's a 4/5 hour drive :(

Oh, this Bobs Pets place has 2 females in a tank with all these other fish & one has her tail bitten off & just sits on the floor of the tank & I told the lady & she didnt even care. ! >:(
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #8 
my cute fish 123

Oh, this Bobs Pets place has 2 females in a tank with all these other fish & one has her tail bitten off & just sits on the floor of the tank & I told the lady & she didnt even care.

wow that is animal cruelty
i heard two females together can be a serious issue
my cute fish 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #9 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by my cute fish 123 View Post
Oh, this Bobs Pets place has 2 females in a tank with all these other fish & one has her tail bitten off & just sits on the floor of the tank & I told the lady & she didnt even care.

wow that is animal cruelty
i heard two females together can be a serious issue
That is soo mean, I would have stood there and said to her, lets grab a nice large bowl and separate these females so they don't kill each other. I will help you with it cause I might be back to purchase this one tomorrow. Just anything to motivate sales lady to act.
BettasRSweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #10 
alyymarie

That's why I hate going to the chain pet stores, I always wish I could rescue all the poor sick fish, those workers just don't care.
I love my local pet store, they have hospital tanks in the back room and whenever I bring a sick fish to their attention, they take him out and put him in the hospital tank to get rest and medicine.
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote