Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

Chocolate, if sunstar wants to keep the fish, they can.

Sunstar, I have an oto in a 5 gallon and to be honest, it was a good decision. The algae is VERY low and the tanks ammonia level hasn't budged since adding her.

If you decied to get one betta for the 10 gallon, you can just get some more cories/otos.

Or you can do a sorority...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oto overstocking but just because a fish fits in does not make it good like a betta fits in a .25 but that does not make it safe.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #13 
thisismethere

I have a White HM betta living quite happily with 6 neon tetras in a 6.6 gal tank! =) I was so worried at first but I watched them for a half hour and they were all fine! Few!!! @ weeks later and my betta is looking better than ever! Loving his new heated tank with his little neon friends.
thisismethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Let me nicely reword what choclate is trying to say...

"The pleco will grow fast and probably needs to be rehomed soon. "

And choclate, you have to say things in a nicer way, or you will get yourself into trouble! lol!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #15 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

And choclate, you have to say things in a nicer way, or you will get yourself into trouble! lol!
I figured that's what was meant, but it sounded a bit rude which is why I kinda snapped, sorry. :/

And Chocolate, while a bettas and otos wouldn't normally thrive, mine do in the tank. Water parameters are fine except for the ammonia (the college's water has between 0-.25 ammonia).

While some people have told me not to do it, others have told me to try it out and see how it goes.

The pleco will outgrow the tank howver they also can stay small if kept in a small tank, but if the owner can't do anything, then they will have to either keep it in the tank, or make adjustments.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #16 
sunstar93

Sorry to cause all the trouble! Just thought I was giving an idea. Nobody will take him because of the fact that he is still growing and I can't return him tomy friend or anything. I'm hoping that I will convince my dorm to allow a slightly larger tank but for now a 10 is all i can have (and afford). I hate keeping him in a smaller tank because I don't want it to stunt his growth or anything...and I've already gotten so attatched to him!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

plecos don't stay small if placed in a small tank! don't believe thay myth! otherwise you're gonna be stuck with a foot long fish and wouldn't know what hit you :D

and yes, those that claim that their pleco stayed small.... poor sad things... have been stunted. :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post

Thanks I have been trying very hard to be nicer I have trouble with that kind of stuff sorry if I offended anyone and for the oto they grow two inches and are active and need algae is that worded nicely?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #19 
harleraven

I really want to do something OTHER than neons and cories, as those are in my current tank already. Though, I think it may be a moot point now, as my husband has decided he is commandeering the 10 gallon! LOL. He wants to get crabs or some kind of amphibian. I told him fine, but then the tank he was going to put a betta in gets filled with a betta of MY choice, instead. xD
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That must be annoying.