Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #1 
Blacklight

Betta floating at top of tank

I woke up today to find my male betta floating up near the top of the tank. Part of his body is a little above the water. He seems a little sluggish but he still swims in bursts. He seems to be having issues staying down under the surface. He's just swimming directly under the surface. When he dives, he just kind of bobs up. He doesn't look bloated or anything although I think he might have a mild case of fin rot.
My wife changed his water yesterday so I believe the amonia levels should be okay.
He doesn't appear to be having any problems breathing. His gills aren't moving fast.
Any idea as to what's going on or could he just like hanging at the surface?
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2 
Hershey

Could be SBD.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #3 
Hershey

I don't know much about it, but you can try messaging Oldfishlady.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 
Hershey

Did she use conditioner?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 
lelei

He may need some Epsom salt bath..If SBD it may help, I would try it, I hear for that, a few days of Epsom at 1tsp per gallon of water, with daily water changes can help.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 
Blacklight

I don't think it's Swim Bladder Disorder. He's not upside down. He doesn't appear bloated (at least to my eyes). No curved spine. No swimming with the tail above the head.
It's just his dorsal fin that's above the surface. He seems to be swimming around fine, with plenty of his usual energy, he's just at the surface all the time.
He's swimming down and shoving himself under stuff to keep himself from floating up.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 
Blacklight

To my knowledge, she used conditioner.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I don't think it's Swim Bladder Disorder. He's not upside down. He doesn't appear bloated (at least to my eyes). No curved spine. No swimming with the tail above the head.
It's just his dorsal fin that's above the surface. He seems to be swimming around fine, with plenty of his usual energy, he's just at the surface all the time.
He's swimming down and shoving himself under stuff to keep himself from floating up.
If I remember correctly any bouancy issues is related to SBD..when they cannot keep from floating to the top..you can check with Old Fish Lady..or Sakura..they can help you best..I have never dealt with a fishy with SBD but have seen some members with fishy's that have the same symptoms. You can PM either one of them for help..Good luck
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

It sounds like a textbook case of SBD to me honestly. I haven't had betta's with it but I have had platy's and goldfish who had gotten it and this was the same thing that happened.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #10 
Blacklight

I hope I don't have to lose my fishy.