Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
If you treat with epsom salt as instructed you shouldn't.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #12 
Blacklight
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Do you get the epsom salts at the pet store? I've never seen any there. Is there a technique to doing this properly? Like an itemized instruction list? I'm scared of adding stuff to the tank that isn't made for aquariums.

I thought it was a bad idea to get salt in a fresh water tank.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #13 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
Do you get the epsom salts at the pet store? I've never seen any there. Is there a technique to doing this properly? Like an itemized instruction list? I'm scared of adding stuff to the tank that isn't made for aquariums.

I thought it was a bad idea to get salt in a fresh water tank.
Nope, for certain illnesses it works, You can get it at any Pharmacy..or supermarket, has to be free of perfumes..then do it for 3-5 days, 1 tsp per gallon of water, again, with daily water changing, predissolve the salt with your water conditioner and hot water in a small bottle, or container, to make sure dissolved well..then add to regular water and let sit for about 15-20 mins..like a regular water change, and accliminate fishy slowly..I have done this with my resuces all 4 of them for fin issues, and they are fine..if no improvement in 5 days up the dosage to 2 tsp per/gal..Best of Luck..keep us posted..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #14 
Blacklight
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Nope, for certain illnesses it works, You can get it at any Pharmacy..or supermarket, has to be free of perfumes..then do it for 3-5 days, 1 tsp per gallon of water, again, with daily water changing, predissolve the salt with your water conditioner and hot water in a small bottle, or container, to make sure dissolved well..then add to regular water and let sit for about 15-20 mins..like a regular water change, and accliminate fishy slowly..I have done this with my resuces all 4 of them for fin issues, and they are fine..if no improvement in 5 days up the dosage to 2 tsp per/gal..Best of Luck..keep us posted..
I just want to make sure I have this right. I do a 50% water change and to the bucket of replacement water, I add 5 tablespoons of salt (5 gallon tank). And I repeat this 5 tablespoons of salt every 50% water change I do? And I change the water once a day?

Or do I take the fish from the tank, drain all water, refill with water with the disolved salt, re acclimate and put the fish back in the tank each day?
Is it best to go and get a small 1 gallon tank to use as a hospital tank rather than using my whole 5 gallon tank for this? I've never treated this before and I'm nervous.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
I believe when you do the water changes you have to do a 100% water change, or at least that is what has worked best for me. Every day is also best, when the water gets above 0 ammonia it only hinders fish healing and getting better.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #16 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I just want to make sure I have this right. I do a 50% water change and to the bucket of replacement water, I add 5 tablespoons of salt (5 gallon tank). And I repeat this 5 tablespoons of salt every 50% water change I do? And I change the water once a day?

Or do I take the fish from the tank, drain all water, refill with water with the disolved salt, re acclimate and put the fish back in the tank each day?
Is it best to go and get a small 1 gallon tank to use as a hospital tank rather than using my whole 5 gallon tank for this? I've never treated this before and I'm nervous.
The best way to treat a sick fishy, is in a Hospital tank, such as a Krittr keeper, 1.75 gal it works wonders, easily to maintain, for the duration of treatment, especially with daily water changes..or a 2 gallon, similar size..you dont really want to change 5 gall of water daily..it's terribly difficult.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
+1

smaller tanks are best for sick fish. Plus with SBD he would appreciate a smaller tank. You can get a 1 gallon at wallmart for $5
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
With buoyancy issue it can be several things-It can be swim bladder related, genetic, rearing or labyrinth organ related.

With some Betta it can be due to genetic, birth defect, deformity or poor feeding/rearing at the Betta farm and even a combination.

Sometimes you can get floaters, belly slider, fallers in a spawn due to genetic, birth defects...etc.....Sometimes the S/S will resolve on their own-only for it to return as the Betta matures. Most breeders will cull these fry-but some don't and they end up on the pet shop shelves.

It can be caused by poor feeding and husbandry at the breeders too. It can also be caused by too cool/dry air over the water during the growth/development stage and labyrinth organ development.
With an already compromised Betta-sometimes the too cool/dry air can cause these issues too. They can kinda catch a cold of sorts....

Best treatment I have found and depending on the cause-may or may not cure-but it can ease the symptoms to a degree. With some chronic buoyancy issues they need to stay in the Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) at low dose long term.

To treat-
Best to use a QT-the small temporary cups some Bettas are sold in work great for this. But anything will work-you goal is to use a container to provide shallow water and to cover with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity over the water for the labyrinth organ and that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain water temp in the 77-78F range for treatment. (Be sure and attach the QT to the side of the heated tank so it doesn't sink)

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water. Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one. Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal). Let this steep for 30min...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today. This will get them acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.
The Betta needs to stay in the covered QT-in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water make 50% daily water changes for the next 13 days.
If you used a tannin source-the jug of Tx water should look darker every day and this is what you want-Don't worry about any leaf bits that get in the QT.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals. If you have access to live mosquito larva offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #19 
shellieca
Member
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
What & how much do you feed him? If that is the only symptom he is exhibiting, fast him for about 3 days & he should be OK. One of my new females was having an issue with swimming downward & would pop back to the top. I didn't feed her for 24hrs, gave her one pellet, fasted for another 2 days & by day 5 she was swimming around normally. I put her in a 1g heated container for the time & added 1/2 tsp of aq salt with daily 100% water changes. On day 6 she went back into the 10G QT tank where she's swimming around like nothing ever happened.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #20 
Blacklight
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My wife just noticed that he has white spots on his fins and also on one of his gills. It looks a little like dandruff. I don't know if this is related or not.

Question: Is aquarium salt the same thing as Epsom salts? I would feel more comfortable using something designed for aquariums rather than going to a pharmacy and buying the stuff. I'm just paranoid that there's going to be ingredients in it that aren't listed on it. There's no actual ingredients list on these Epsom salts containers. It just lists the salt as the active ingredient.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TK - floating at the top of his tank? AmandaGraham Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 15 07-24-2011 11:37 PM
He is just floating on top of the tank! sldorange91 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 11-12-2009 10:01 PM
betta floating at top of tank!! HELP :( _K8_ Betta Fish Care 3 10-02-2008 10:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.