Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #21 
LadyVictorian

are they small spots? It might be ick.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #22 
Blacklight

Yeah. They're small white spots. They look like dandruff. They are small. I can't really tell what they are.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

Sounds like Ick, you will need Aquarium salt and a temp of 85 degrees. 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon with 100% daily water changes should clear it up, if not then there are medications you can get as well.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #24 
Blacklight

Would the ich cause his floating? Or am I probably dealing with two separate things here?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Per our PM's...

If he only has a few spots-I wouldn't use any pesticides-You can't kill Ich while it is on the fish without killing the fish-The Ich has to fall off-then manual removal with water changes should take care of it. Ich will die without a host and so the tank itself should be free of any Ich by the time you have completed the ES treatment in a QT. The only thing I would do different with the treatment instruction-Is to make 100% water changes every 3rd day instead of 50%-while using the premixed treatment water in QT.

Best way to treat Ich on a Betta-is with manual removal from the tank as they fall off the fish and supporting the immune response.

You can raise the temp to speed the Ich life cycle-to make them fall off faster, however, higher temp can also be stressful on the fish and help pathogens colonize faster-since the water temp need to be raised to 86F.

Aquarium salt can help kill Ich, provided that it isn't salt resistant-The main use of salt is to help prevent a secondary infection due to the wounds left by the Ich as it detaches from the fish. Epsom salt will do the same thing-since both Epsom salt and aquarium salt have antibacterial/fungal properties.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #26 
Blacklight

And, of course, the wife if freaking out because we have to spend more money, after spending almost $100 (which already streached us beyond our means) between our two fish. She's pissed and doesn't want to spend another dime on them. Ugh.
We don't have any kind of quarantine tank (especially not one we can put at the top of the tank)so we're going to have to buy one.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt is cheap...1 pound bag less than $3.00 in my area and Oak leaves can be free if you have some Oak trees near by...Mosquito larva..free if you have them in your area.....A 1gal jug...I use an old, yet clean 1gal Milk jug...QT-the container he came in or any household container that will fit in the heated tank-quick rinse in vinegar to cut any soap residue if needed.

I understand cost......You can make it as expensive or as low cost as you want...Personally....I get creative and use low cost, natural methods, however, I do understand that not everyone has the things I have at my finger tips.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #28 
Blacklight

I just bought one of those small breeder tanks that you can either hang off the back of the tank or place in the tank as a temperature acclimator. I also bought some API liquid Super Ick Cure. I assume you just put this in the tank with the fish?
I can probably put him in that little breeder tank and then slowly change the water out for the epsom salt water. The secret is going to be measuring the right ammount of salt to go into that little tank each water change.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #29 
jsgossamer

I have a betta at work that gets the floaty thing everytime I overfeed him pellets. Is he overweight? The floaties can happen with obese bettas also. I would also fast him a couple days and see if that helps. My guy that gets the floaties from pellets gets freeze dried brine shrimp a few times a week and it helps. As far as the possible ick, aqurium salt is not very expensive.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #30 
Blacklight

I'm first going to try the ick treatment and the fasting first. That seems the easiest rout. If he doesn't improve in a couple days, I'll stick him in the little breeder tank and start doing the salt water thing. You do the ick treatments with the fish in the tank right? I don't have to remove him to put the treater in there?
I have a leaf hammock stuck to the side of the tank toward the surface that he can sit on if he gets tired.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.